Beardie's nail came off, whole finger looks swollen, scales around the tip of the finger are coming off and are red

Beardie name(s)
Buddy
So as some of you know, I had posted a thread saying that Buddy's finger was swollen and red a few weeks ago and she started getting better until a few days ago I saw that she doesn't have a nail anymore. I did some research and I wasn't too concerned since she didn't lose the whole base of where the nail came from, (forgot what that's called) so I figured she would grow another one. But now it's looking more swollen and her scales are coming off and turning red and where the nail was it's also swollen and red. What treatments can I do from home? Is raw honey good for it? Should I be concerned or is it part of the process of it healing? Please help!

Attachments

• Screenshot (116).jpg
    Screenshot (116).jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot (117).jpg
    Screenshot (117).jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 32

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry that finger is still causing issues. It's hard to tell but are fingers on the other hand a bit swollen too
or is he going to shed there? Are there any other areas on the limbs, swelling like there would be if gout
was present?

Tracie

Buddy- The Bearded Dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Buddy
Hello,

Sorry that finger is still causing issues. It's hard to tell but are fingers on the other hand a bit swollen too
or is he going to shed there? Are there any other areas on the limbs, swelling like there would be if gout
was present?

Tracie
Thank you for replying!

No fingers on the other hand are swollen and I believe she is shedding there as well. No other limbs or fingers are swollen, it's just that finger that looks like a sausage. Everything else is normal.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, great to hear! I'm glad that there isn't any swelling elsewhere. The
finger is just having some trouble, getting rid of the infection. Have you
tried some antibiotic ointment yet on it?
How is her appetite doing?
Perhaps the shedding will help out in that area. I hope it starts to improve
for her soon.

Tracie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Buddy
Thanks for the reply!

I actually have not tried an ointment yet. Tbh I don't know what I should give her. Any recommendations?
Her appetite is great! I just got her some new food that she loves and I got her some live mealworms that she is OBSESSED with. Everytime I try to feed her some with the tweezers, she goes crazy and tries to eat the tweezers too. Sometimes I have to close her cage to restrain her from jumping out and going to eat all the mealworms; because she will 😂
She is currently shedding from her mouth and her arms and it did seem that her tail is turning white.
From the way that she's so active and how she still has her normal behaviors and even some, I know it isn't affecting her too much. I just want to get rid of the swelling and for the nail to grow back so she's good to go and so we don't have to keep worrying about it.

Thank you from both of us!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sure, you can try neosporin or polysporin, they are safe enough to use on reptilian scales. I know, it's hard
not to worry yourself to death over things, but, with reptiles we know they are harder to treat & take longer
to heal up. I'm happy to hear that she's active & has a great appetite too.
I guess her finger isn't bothering her too much then. Hopefully the swelling will recede & her nail will grow
back too.

Tracie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Buddy
Hello,

Sure, you can try neosporin or polysporin, they are safe enough to use on reptilian scales. I know, it's hard
not to worry yourself to death over things, but, with reptiles we know they are harder to treat & take longer
to heal up. I'm happy to hear that she's active & has a great appetite too.
I guess her finger isn't bothering her too much then. Hopefully the swelling will recede & her nail will grow
back too.

Tracie
Thank you so much for the positive response! Helped me stay hopeful lol. I will try the neosporin and I will keep you updated on how she's healing.
Yep, I'm also guessing that her finger isn't bothering her too much. Sometimes I see that she likes to keep in lifted but other than that she's using her whole hand to move around and to walk and climb. That's another positive thing to keep hopeful lol.

Thank you again!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You are very welcome. I hope that something starts
to help improve that so it can start healing up.
Definitely let us know how the ointment works for her.
At least she is still able to get around pretty well &
doesn't seem to be in pain.

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom