Beardies as Therapy pets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was an idea i thought of why not use Sampson and Bruce as therapy pets. We enjoy them so much and they are so soothing when you are upset just ask my bestie who comes over daily to get her dragon fix when she's she's sad, depressed or mad. I guess there's nothing like a dragon cuddle is there. So has anyone heard of dragons being therapy animals? I know there is limitations on where they can go but think about it right? Can anyone offer me any suggestions or ideas?

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I can't offer suggestions but Bill (husband) says Goldie Speedy is his service animal. She helps him figure out where to go when his brain short circuits (he's hypoglycemic). To me, they can also be therapy pets, except for people that are afraid of reptiles, yes there are some of those, usually the big bulky macho men.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
There was a poster a few months back who was using their dragon as a service pet. I think it could work if you have a calm animal. Not everyone likes cats and dogs, or might have allergies.

zeppy123

Hatchling Member
I have Asperger's and anxiety disorder and I find holding a dragon helps me relax if I'm feeling anxious. Zeppy would actually sense when I was upset and be extra calm. He'd snuggle into me instead of satisfying his normal exploring desires, much like a very young infant can sense an upset parent. I think they would be good therapy animals for people who aren't immunosuppressed. Somewhere like a woman's shelter or classroom for children with disabilities may be a good place for them to visit.

MissT

BD.org Addict
I looked into it once but the only charity I found that used pets for therapy did not include reptiles. I emailed them and pointed out that many people are afraid of dogs and cats because they are jumpy and also, many people have fur allergies. The response I got was basically that due to salmonella risk and a lack of knowledge of reptiles they could not allow reptiles as therapy pets. I got the impression they thought a bearded dragon may be agressive or scary in some way. I guess it's just a fear of the unknown. I was so disappointed as I know my beardies would make great therapy pets!!

zeppy123

Hatchling Member
MissTw Why don't you try calling some local schools and see if they will allow your babies to be brought into the classroom to visit. A lot of schools are delighted by things like this. Children with special needs are often calmer and happier around animals than without the presence of critters. I know our city did this through the local reptile and amphibian society. I was going to volunteer Zeppy one year, but the spots were already filled by other reptiles.

broozersfam

Original Poster
Thanks folks. Think i'll start out with schools first. We also have hairless rats that ALOT of people are deathly afraid of for some unknown reason. We have allergies to dogs and cats so dragons and hairless rats were our option for "affectionate" pets. We have fish too but well you can't cuddle and love on a fish. I think if we as dragon owners share more about our babies people will be less afraid of them. My 7 yr old brags that he can train his own dragon! LOL (in reference to How to Train Your Dragon the kids Movie) I'm going to take 2 of my 3 dragons to visit my 85 year old grandmother when the weather warms up. She's never seen one so no telling how she will react.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Sepoy, I'm actually a teacher and, although I managed to sneak kazi into school once (my principal knew), if any members of the education board had turned up I would hve been in serious trouble! We all got a circular last year stating that reptiles are NOT suitable for classroom visits due to the high salmonella risk! They are health and safety mad!!!

zeppy123

Hatchling Member
Then they shouldn't have any sandwiches with mayo in them in classrooms either (higher risk of contracting samonella from food than from reptiles).

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
zeppy123":28r1xj9n said:
Then they shouldn't have any sandwiches with mayo in them in classrooms either (higher risk of contracting samonella from food than from reptiles).

agreed. especially beardies. I've never heard of any salmonella from beardies.

RowenJade

Juvie Member
I'm schizophrenic/manic bipolar and my Leviathan helps me greatly. Whenever I'm in a crazy state of mind he helps me find my center I would use him in a therapy session if it ever gets warm in NJ. He is my service animal and when he's big and healthy maybe he could be a service animal too!

izz

Juvie Member
zeppy123":32rfqvve said:
I have Asperger's and anxiety disorder and I find holding a dragon helps me relax if I'm feeling anxious. Zeppy would actually sense when I was upset and be extra calm. He'd snuggle into me instead of satisfying his normal exploring desires, much like a very young infant can sense an upset parent. I think they would be good therapy animals for people who aren't immunosuppressed. Somewhere like a woman's shelter or classroom for children with disabilities may be a good place for them to visit.

Aww thats really nice how your beardie helps you :love5:

broozersfam

Original Poster
My mom anole and she takes him to her center based daycare. She uses him for a reward for her students and yes there is ALWAYS hand sanitizer available. She said it teaches her children gentleness because he is so fragile and if the children earn the priveledge to have Grendel on their shirts the can have their pictures taken with him and have the picture posted around the school. He is a great learning experience to she says.

littlesavedgirl

Hatchling Member
I think I could say that my dragon is a therapy pet, I have Multiple Sclerosis and this has severely limited me physically. I am a avid animal lover and was a foster home for exotic birds, Cracker (Umbrella Cockatoo), Krammer (Lesser Sulfur Crested Cockatoo), Topaz (Double Yellow Headed Amazon), CoaCoa (African Grey). Due to the severity of my disability,very depressing... I had give it up, but my little Penelope has given me a new relief, a way to enjoy such a unique little squirt.

So I can say that she is good therapy for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwe6634ee1
Top Bottom