Beardies and snakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyBilbo

Hatchling Member
Hi guys, I just wondered, can a beardie sense or smell a ball python from a distance through rooms.

Bilbo is in my lounge on the ground floor and since I got bella last Monday 28 September who is situated 2 floors up in my bedroom, he is acting a little odd?

A lot of scratching around hiding in his hide, that he NEVER used before, bar one time?

He has been eating kinda normal not touching his salad though that is odd, and missed 3 days worth of BM he goes every day like clock work?

Any one with snakes that can shed (not pun) some light on this

Cheers

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Beardie and snakes are natural enemies in the wild, many of Australia's larger tree and ground dwelling native pythons and vemonous snakes (especially the larger ones such a taipans, tiger snakes, brown snakes, black snakes ) will hunt and eat bearded dragons, even adult beardies. And sometimes they encounter and die from being bitten by death adders.

Also , in the wild beardies are opportunistic feeders and if they encounter a small snake , it runs the risk of being considered a snack by a hungry beardie.

Perhaps since the beardie and snake can't actually see each other, the beardie may be smelling snake if the house is airconditoned or you have been handling the snake before handling the beardie (it'll smell the snake on your cloths and on your hands and arms).

You could try handling the beardie first and then giving the snake it's turn.

What are the temperatures and daylight hours like in the room where the beardie is, could be he is trying to dig a den to brumate in ?

MyBilbo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the reply.

He has settled a bit now, still lazy though come paired to some days.

His temps are constant 27 & 41 with areas around the viv at 30 ish (he has a very large 160 us gal)

I use a ceramic that comes on at 0730 off at 1930 (12hrs)
I use my arcadia and that comes on at 0800 and off at 2130 (13.5hrs) always has been like this, I knocked 30 mins off they lights, used to stay on until 2200 bit he was going to sleep around 2130

His UVB is an Acadia T5 due to be changed in January, I thought it was this to start off bit it can't be?

He is not digging so much but laying on one rock is his viv must be around 30

The snake is in a faunarium in my bedroom, not handled her over the weekend as she is shedding. And I always wash my hands before and after handling one or the other, no air con in this house, live in the UK, never that hot :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom