Beardies and salt water...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I have come to this wonderful site for years now and have learned so much from you all. I've also laughed at all the fabulous pics and videos, and worried about all of your little ones who were ill or suffering... You guys are a really great bunch!
Now, here's a question that I'd like to put out there. I've checked various resources but I haven't been able to find anything that sounds like it's coming from someone who knows what they're talking about.
Here's the deal. My husband and I live in Toronto, Ontario in Canada and our 4 year old beardie named Beastie is coming with us on our driving vacation to Florida. He is accustomed to travelling around with us: we live near the beaches area of Toronto, and so he's down there with us every day from May to September - whenever the weather is sunny and nice. He loves it down there. He basks, watches the world go by, runs around, climbs a few feet up a tree and sleeps, and he enjoys meeting people, and most of all, having his picture taken. He loves car rides and enjoys sitting on my shoulder while we walk around, and he is comfortable and happy in his carrier (one for 'small to medium dogs' with lots of mesh that can close with solid flaps). He's a big guy: 19 inches long, one pound 7 oz, and he has no parasites.
When we get to Florida, we spend a great deal of time at the beach. I have no question about taking him there with us, but my question is about the salt water. He likes to swim at home, and I will take his bath tub with us when we go (and I'll treat the water at the hotel before he goes in, as usual), but I'm concerned about the salt water. I'm guessing he should not drink it, nor should he 'bath' in it since I don't think it's good for his body to absorb the salt.
That's my question and concern...
Also, anyone in Florida... Are there lizard laws I have to be concerned about that anyone knows of?

Momswims1

Juvie Member
Not sure about the salt water being OK for a beardie, but as far as lizards, I can't tell you how many gators I have seen, as well as snakes. As long as no one complains or freaks out, I would not worry about it. Have a good time.

jlo0001

This is not from experience but assuming how they absorb water through their vent maybe they would become dehydrated quicker? Just a guess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom