Beardies and other Pets

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunRack

So I took one of my females home with me and placed her in a gorgeous 75 gallon tank that I found on Craigslist. The whole setup looks awesome. What I am noticing, my dogs are just as interested in her as she is in them. I literally have to force my dogs downstairs to leave her alone.

In houses where there are multiple species, do your other pets eventually get bored and leave your beardies alone? Or am i destined to be cleaning nose marks off the side of my tank?

Dragoon

Sub-Adult Member
Well, i don't have any other pets but I do know that you can't really predict how any other pet would react to a new member of the family, like if they are okay with him or not. Just to be sure, though, I wouldn't have them together until you're sure they can cope.

GunRack

Original Poster
I appreciate your response! Maybe I should be more clear; I dont plan to ever have them together, have them meet, etc. Just wondering if anyone else's dogs drive them crazy when it comes to their reptiles. Mine want me to come see what they have found, sit in front of the habitat and wait for me. Its funny, but rather annoying at 2am hah.

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
GunRack":f1f1wa3e said:
Mine want me to come see what they have found, sit in front of the habitat and wait for me. Its funny, but rather annoying at 2am hah.

Ah thats so cute, and funny!! Ive seen a lot of posts on here about beardie owners curious dogs. One poster was talking about how she was bathing her beardie and the dog jumped right in the bath with it!

ReptiMama2

Hatchling Member
We have 3 dogs but only 1 has ever shown any interest in the dragons, she is a Blue Tick Coon Hound. At first having the dragons was like blue tick TV ! She would just sit and stare at them for hours but after about a week or so she stopped and got use to the tanks and doesn't seem to notice them any more. She stayed more interested in our Sugar Gliders when we had them of course they were a bit more active and noisy :)

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
We have 2 boxers and as much as I would like them to cohabitate with my little beardie I just don't ever see it happening. Our dogs have caught and killed several squirrels and rabbits in our backyard - basically they will chase anything that runs. So when I have Sartharion out, the dogs are locked in another room.

When he gets older and less likely to fly off my hand and onto the floor, we might train the dogs not to look at the beardie as dinner :p Right now Sarth's cage is much higher off the floor than they can see so they don't bother him at all.

boxers

Hatchling Member
We have three cats, all of whom were feral-born and bottle-raised by us at different times, who are much too interested in our reptiles. Strangely, they don't bother the rats one bit though. They actually seem scared of, or disgusted by, the rats- when the rats come over to groom them, the cats huff and run off.

But the reptiles are another story. The cats are very interested when the beardie tank gets slid open (they all crowd around and try to go inside, sometimes even stick a paw out toward poor Razual) and when a snake is being held (they watch very intently and will paw at a length of tail if it gets too close over them).

And, having had the oldest cat for over three years and him being the MOST interested, I don't see this ever really changing. The best we can do is to shoo the cats away, be very alert, and don't leave any smaller pets unattended, ever. These words sound serious and dark, but it's easy enough to manage, I think. We do maintain a happy household regardless of mixed species. :)

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
I have two dogs and both more or less ignore Lilly . They never care if she is in her tank and really only worry about her roaming if she gets too close to them (then they move away).

PeppersGirl

Juvie Member
Our small dog watches my beardie intently whenever he is out in the living room. If given the chance she will sniff Pepper, and has licked him a couple of times. She is constantly fascinated by the lizards, and as Boxers said, the only way to make sure no harm comes of it is to Never leave them unnattended.

However, on saying this every pet is different and I know of a cat and bluetongue skink that are best friends and will curl up together :shock: :D

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
When i had a cat and dragon at the same time, they seemed to ignore each other most the time. EXCEPT when it came to the sunny spot on the back of the lazyboy. Dante was extremely territorial with that spot and quite the escape artist. It came to blows a few times. Fortunately we came home just in time to save the cat. My cat was large, but the biggest wuss. The cat gave up that spot after a while. Strangely Dante didn't mind sharing his basking spot. The cat used to sleep on the warm spot on the table in front of the light all the time and Dante didn't even give him a sideways glance.

ReptiMama2

Hatchling Member
Our three dogs pretty much ignore the dragons when they are out unless one of the dragons gets close or actually on the dogs. Then the dogs look at me like "seriously?" and move. Now, at my mom's house is a diff. story. She has 2 boxers and they have to be put up for the dragons to come out. Especially the female Ellie, she almost went after Cercie once because my son didn't think before he got her out :banghead:

bambichik39

Juvie Member
From my experience I'd say it'll probably settle down after a week. We have three cats and two dogs, all of which leave the lizards alone. The newest cat, who was a stray we took in last year, has her moments (mainly with the crickets and roaches, as she knows shes not allowed to even stare down the lizards) but over all they are good. Only problem we have is one cat likes to try and sleep on top of the tanks for the heat, but we now keep a spray bottle in the area and he knows that means he'll get squirted if he gets too close. Anyways, the dogs are great around Pablo. They go crazy over other outside animals, like a friends cat or lizard, but they know ours are off limits and dont even try.

GunRack

Original Poster
As of this morning, the dogs pace back and forth in front of the tank, and Beretta follows them. I didnt think it was a big deal, untill i went to get Beretta out and she flared and had that big ole mouth open. So i tried to calm her down a bit, but that seemed to rile her up. So, i think ill need to put something on the glass till she gets used to all the newness. I have tiny dogs, so unless shes right on the glass, they cant see her, but know shes in there. Nothing to watch, and they loose interest.

Unknownhope

Hatchling Member
Gizmo, my boyfriend's rottie would sit in front of Bubbie's cage and just watch her intently for hours on end. So I took Bubbie out, held her in my hand, and let him sniff her. He was a good dog and didn't try to go after her or anything, he was just curious as to what she was. After a week of doing that consistently, he stopped sitting at her cage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom