Beardies Age?

Mr.Dragon

Beardie name(s)
Mr. Dragon
When I got my dragon a few weeks ago I asked at the pet store guy how old (he) was? The man told me that they receive them when they are around 6 months, so probably around there. But he was only about 7 1/2in when I brought him home. About 8in now, so I don't think he is that old? Am I wrong? About how old is an 8in beardie?
-Mr. Dragon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
When I got my dragon a few weeks ago I asked at the pet store guy how old (he) was? The man told me that they receive them when they are around 6 months, so probably around there. But he was only about 7 1/2in when I brought him home. About 8in now, so I don't think he is that old? Am I wrong? About how old is an 8in beardie?
-Mr. Dragon
Please post a pic of the dragon

Mr.Dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mr. Dragon
Mr. Dragon

Attachments

• 20230624_200511.jpg
    20230624_200511.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 55

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Your petstore employee is mistaken, and most likely meant 6 weeks, which is a common practice for when breeders sell to petstores.

So assume your dragon is around 2 months old :)

-Brandon

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
Same thing happened to me. They told me 6mo-year. He was 9in when I got him. So tbh i really don't know how old Rango is

Mr.Dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mr. Dragon
Hi there,

Your petstore employee is mistaken, and most likely meant 6 weeks, which is a common practice for when breeders sell to petstores.

So assume your dragon is around 2 months old :)

-Brandon
Thank you so much!! That makes a lot more sense and now I can start taking even better care of him now that I know a more approximate age! Thank you for your wisdom!
-Mr. Dragon

Mr.Dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mr. Dragon
Same thing happened to me. They told me 6mo-year. He was 9in when I got him. So tbh i really don't know how old Rango is
I don't get why they wouldn't ask these types of questions when they recieve new reptiles? I bet they do it for dogs and cats.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Ar 6 month's old "most" beardies will fill the palm of your hand. I agree with Claudiusx, he was probably 6ish weeks old. Babies grow insanely fast. (With good husbandry)

Mr.Dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mr. Dragon
Ar 6 month's old "most" beardies will fill the palm of your hand. I agree with Claudiusx, he was probably 6ish weeks old. Babies grow insanely fast. (With good husbandry)
Oh yeah hes definently smaller than my hand, and I've got small hands. Thank you!

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
The same happened to me. I was told I had a girl around 4 months old. Rocky is a boy going on 56 years old! (He's really 1)
I love that you care enough to ensure proper care! YOu've come to the right place!
I dont know if they guess at the stores or are simply mistaken.

Mr.Dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mr. Dragon
The same happened to me. I was told I had a girl around 4 months old. Rocky is a boy going on 56 years old! (He's really 1)
I love that you care enough to ensure proper care! YOu've come to the right place!
I dont know if they guess at the stores or are simply mistaken.
Ah I wish I could tell if my beardie is a boy or a girl yet! I still call him a he though lol.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Ah I wish I could tell if my beardie is a boy or a girl yet! I still call him a he though lol.
The gender reveal is so exciting LOL
I wanted a boy* and as soon as I accepted the fact Rocky was a girl, tada, BOY!
Every now and then I still say, "She"- but regardless, I am in love so does it really matter?

*(I just didn't want to have to handle the eggs)

Mr.Dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mr. Dragon
The gender reveal is so exciting LOL
I wanted a boy* and as soon as I accepted the fact Rocky was a girl, tada, BOY!
Every now and then I still say, "She"- but regardless, I am in love so does it really matter?

*(I just didn't want to have to handle the eggs)
That's the exact and only reason I don't want a girl! I'm not ready to be a grandmother!! (Just kidding, hah). But you're right, it doesn't matter, boy or girl we'll do anything and everything to keep 'em happy and healthy!! I only call him Mr. Dragon because that just what my dad always called our pets growing up? Lol, unless it was obviously a girl: Mrs chicken, Mr pato, Mr pato #2, Mr lizard, Mr snake, Mr turtle.
-Mr. Dragon

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Here is a pic of how to sex them. But be aware females con nit be guaranteed because some males develop late and can fool ya.

Attachments

• s2OIALbl.jpg
    s2OIALbl.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 50

Mr.Dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mr. Dragon
Here is a pic of how to sex them. But be aware females con nit be guaranteed because some males develop late and can fool ya.
I tried to look. I don't see anything. But I didn't want him to feel awkward or violated so I just took a quick look. Yeah it didn't look like anything to me. I'll try again when hes a little older lol.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mangomom
Top Bottom