Beardie Won't Touch Phoenix Worms

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr1chard

I just got in a couple hundred phoenix worms to supplement feeding while my dubia colony grows - but my beardie won't touch them! They are quite active (even crawling out of the food dish), so it's not a movement issue. Should I just keep them in there until she (I think) is hungry enough to give them a whirl? Anyone else had this problem?

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Yep! My girl had no interest in them at all!! Kept trying but eventually they all died so I just threw them away, She was eating mainly crickets with occasional wax, butter and superworms. Then she lost interest in her veggies and the crickets. So I got her some silkworms and dubias. She loved them both and also started eating her veggies and crickets again. I just ordered some hormworms to see what she thinks of those. I now realize the importance of variety!! But she still, during all this would not touch the phoenix worms.

Flynnthedragon

Hatchling Member
Im having that problem. I ordered 600 (bad mistake) and most of them are just sitting there waiting to die. My lil guy ate about 10 the first day and then every day it was been less and less and now wont even touch them, maybe one or two when im not looking. Im breeding dubias as well and ordered extra nymphs so i could start feeding off them and he loved them. It might be because the worms cant "run" and are quiet slow so they just dont seem interested. Not as fun to play with slow food i guess? I threw a young freshly molted dubia in there when i first got them and it was the first time i'd seen my guy run and be active for food. I was thinking of posting on craigslist and give them away or something.

One night i left them in there and he seemed to eat some but come to find out they just some how got out of the bowl and hid very well :p :banghead:

Cowabunga

Hatchling Member
Its not uncommon.. A bunch of my beardies will only eat reptis as a last resort so I save them for off days. I'll give greens in the morning and wont feed anything else until evening and at that point they will all eat the reptis. I have a few girls who will eat ANYTHING but the others aren't fond of the. On the flip side my dragons are spoiled with an unlimited supply of dubia so its hard to get them to eat anything else.

Same issue with supers.. As time has come and gone they have come to accept the supers but if there are dubia even in sight then they wont touch anything else. I've got Horns getting big in their cups as well as some Wax worms on the way and hopefully soon some butters. Fingers crossed on those. :roll:

Flynnthedragon

Hatchling Member
well good luck on those! :) yeah i have dubia as well but just starting up my colony. still able to feed out of them though since my guy is only 6 inches or si

cr1chard

Original Poster
It took a day and a half, but the worms have finally been eaten. I was even able to hand feed a few. Buddy definitely prefers the dubia though.

Flynnthedragon

Hatchling Member
szubelak":2tybygtp said:
I bought hornworms today (the green ones right?) and my boys won't touch those either!! UGH!
aww.. and i think horn worms come in more then one color. but that sucks. ive left my phoenix's in there all day and he ate TWO of them.. TWO!! grrrr. there was 10 this morning before i left for work, nwo theres 8. unless they some how crawled out again. Cleaned his tank this morning and found at least 5 worms stuck in his repti carpet... -_- and here I thought he was eating them! LOL. Picked up someones 2 year old dubia colony today for 150$ so hoping to get all the small nypmhs out of there and into my feeder tub and throw the rest in my main colony. Just hope they cant get out of my feeder tub, it was origianly made for crickets and has a vent on the side they could climb up but doesnt get to the very top :p

Was gunna sell my phoenix worms but I may just throw them outside and let the birds have at them. keeping one full container incase he changes his mind but they are pretty much almost dead it looks like so.
silly beardies :p just like picky kids!

prone2

My BD's loved Reptiworms! However when we ordered Phoenix worms they ate a few and then refused any more. My wife then soaked/washed the Phoenix worms and then all my crew ate them! Seems they did not like the taste of what the Phonix worms were in. And I will say that it does not smell like the Repti cup either. Don't know if this will help you, but you can always give it a try.

Flynnthedragon

Hatchling Member
washed them off and still nothing :( i think i will throw them out in the yard and let the birds have their way with them. ill keep one container until the worms die. I dont think ill buy phoenix worms again, will try reptiworms if i do since you said they didnt smell anything like the phoenix worm container. I have dubias and i guess some hybrid roach but they look identicle to the dubia so i dunno. but i can use the container for selling nymphs which is a plus i guess. lesson learned :)

christina0

I have the same issue , bought a box of 250 phoenix worms online from the north hampton reptile centre and not one has been eaten in over a week !!! waste of money as my beardy wont eat supers either unless they are fully grown either so i think these will go to waste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom