Beardie won't shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylesaurus

Hi everyone, im new to the site, but i've always referred to it for help.

By beardie, Spike, started shedding a month ago.. He shed his arms, legs and head within the first week, but his tail, body and stomach have not yet. I have been bathing him, rubbing lightly with fingers and a tooth brush, but this all doesn't seem to be working. He is a smoothie beardie, I was told. So he has no spike on his back, for the most part, or his tail.

He hasn't grown since ive bought him... He's been to the vet and i've done a fecal. He has a really small amount of pin worms (just finished his meds) and he has a high amount of coccidia (2 weeks left on the meds). So I know he has some illnesses, even though he is happy, runs around and eats a ton! (10 crickets in the afternoon then 10 in the late afternoon). I coat them all with d3 and calcium 5 days a week. He eats romain lettuce sometimes

bought from a reptile store, but not petsmart/petco (horrible place to buy pets)
said to be about 5 months
Male, for sure
40 Gallon vivarium
150watt heat lamp
80 degree F cold side with water dish (swimming pool to him)
paper towel for the floor and a sand box with cali sand (his basking spot is placed in this)

I know calcium sand is bad, but he LOVES to dig and sleep in holes he makes, so i was tired of him sleeping under the paper towel :D plus it makes it a little warmer for him. No, he doesnt eat the sand and his food bowl is over on the paper towels ( even though he is a clean eater)

Thanks, hope I can get help with this

-sorry it went a little off topic but I wanted to let everyone know a little bit about what I have going on.

Kyle & Spike

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
First off, I want to get off my chest... no sand LOL you cannot state you watch him 24/7 to make sure he isn't eating the sand. If you do insist on keeping sand feed him in a separate enclosure with something less loose for a substrate. Now then...

I have used a product called "Shed Aid" it is virtually a vitamin E spray. You spray it on and rub it in with your finger tips, kind of massage it in. Use it 1-2 times a day until he sheds. With sand in your enclosure be sure it is all rubbed in before you put him back. Once he starts to shed, usually within 1 week, you can use more spray to help loosen what is already peeling away. Never pull at the shed but, spray on the "Shed Aid" and massage it in, the skin which is falling away will come off with ease.

http://www.strictlypetsupplies.com/_097612800319-Zoo-Meds-Labs-Repti-Shed-Aid-2-25

kylesaurus

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply and I will grab that as soon as I can.

And about the sand, I know how people feel. I'm the same way, it scares me. But it literally is in a box under the basking lamp. His feeding dish is on a lower level with paper towel, he can't drag lettuce or any other food into the sand box (he has to climb a log to get into the sand box). Thanks for the concern though.

Is there any safer substrate that beardies can dig in? There has to be something since they live in clay/dirt/sand in Australia.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
kylesaurus":2p2v0g6z said:
Thanks for the reply and I will grab that as soon as I can.

And about the sand, I know how people feel. I'm the same way, it scares me. But it literally is in a box under the basking lamp. His feeding dish is on a lower level with paper towel, he can't drag lettuce or any other food into the sand box (he has to climb a log to get into the sand box). Thanks for the concern though.

Is there any safer substrate that beardies can dig in? There has to be something since they live in clay/dirt/sand in Australia.

Not that I am aware of, does he have a hide? The idea you have with sand is a lot better then I imagined. ( :shock: ) LOL But there is always a risk. If anything comes to mind or I find out one I will let you know. :D

kylesaurus

Original Poster
Thanks a ton, I've been on the search for a good/natural substrate.

He does have a hide, but doesn't use it. It's on the cold side. Also some logs to hide under.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom