Beardie won't let me hold him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleSwonger61

Hatchling Member
He use to love to be held and I would always let him run around my room and he would run to me. But now ever since I moved him into a new enclosure, he just runs if I try to pick him up, or if I grab he he struggles and try's to get away. One time when I finally was able to get him and hold him, he bit me! I was petting his favorite spot that he loves and will close his eyes! It's right along his jawline all the way back to his ear. He loved it so much but now I'm afraid to do it cause he will bite me again! Someone please help me cause hes being very weird

Gail

BD.org Addict
How long ago did you move him into the new cage? Moving can stress them and that can make them a bit grumpy. I would continue to hold him everyday, even if he struggles. Lay him on your chest and hold him firm enough he can't get away but not so hard that he's squished.

When a dragon closes its eyes when you stroke the face, its not because they like it. Thats how they zone out when they experience something they don't like. He probably tolerated it before but now that he is grumpy, didn't want to put up with it anymore.

The only time I've had a dragon bite me was doing the exact same thing. Stick to stroking the chin or neck, they seem to do better with that.

Curious as to his age? My guy is hitting 4 months and starting puberty, its making him a unpleasant little beastie.

KyleSwonger61

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Gail":7sshcq4c said:
How long ago did you move him into the new cage? Moving can stress them and that can make them a bit grumpy. I would continue to hold him everyday, even if he struggles. Lay him on your chest and hold him firm enough he can't get away but not so hard that he's squished.

When a dragon closes its eyes when you stroke the face, its not because they like it. Thats how they zone out when they experience something they don't like. He probably tolerated it before but now that he is grumpy, didn't want to put up with it anymore.

The only time I've had a dragon bite me was doing the exact same thing. Stick to stroking the chin or neck, they seem to do better with that.

Curious as to his age? My guy is hitting 4 months and starting puberty, its making him a unpleasant little beastie.
He is 10 months old. And I moved him into it on Wednesday. I can't grab him though. I try to put my hand under him and he just bolts to the opposite end of the enclosure.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Have you tried picking him up from the top? I know its not the "normal" way but thats how I always do it. I put my right hand across the back and wrap my fingers around the rib cage, than I come in with the left hand under the belly.
This keeps them from bolting while keeping them secure. How ever you do it, you need to pick him up daily. Right now he is learning that running away works. He is little, you are big, you are in charge.

KyleSwonger61

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Gail":1vgxsq7h said:
Have you tried picking him up from the top? I know its not the "normal" way but thats how I always do it. I put my right hand across the back and wrap my fingers around the rib cage, than I come in with the left hand under the belly.
This keeps them from bolting while keeping them secure. How ever you do it, you need to pick him up daily. Right now he is learning that running away works. He is little, you are big, you are in charge.
I read something online with taming and you have to show discipline them and make them know you are in control and they can't squirm away

Gail

BD.org Addict
Thats what I've always done. I don't allow any naughty behavior, the more they squirm, the tighter I hold. Of course I'm not squeezing them to death and pinning them against your body works really well too.
If I come across a dragon that runs from me in the cage, I simply corner it and pick it up anyways. I think too often people treat their dragons like delicate eggshells and thats how you end up with dragons that aren't completely tame.
Its one thing to have a dragon that you can pick up, its another to have one that will let you do pretty much anything to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom