Beardie won't let me hold him and will not eat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I day ago I posted a page on my enclosure and the light he was getting. Well after changing the lighting and making it a suitable temperature he seemed to be alright. He would run around more and would seem to be more active. However this little guy still won't eat. His crickets, greens, wax rooms. Nothing. And this morning when I changed the water and greens I usually try to hold him for a little and get him used to me. Well he jumped off his basking spot and found a corner and he opened his mouth and stood a pose. Now I'm honestly not even remotely afraid of him, at the same time I'd prefer not to get bit or have him pissed at me. He won't eat and now he's irritable. He has a 55 gallon set up with a 125 bulb that produces UVB and his regular basking spot. And a hide away. Everytime I go to feed he eats maybe 2 crickets and he is done. I've had him a week now. His first day back he ate way more. I'm starting to get worried. This is what he will do but I couldn't snap him with his mouth open.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Its only been a week, he will starting eating better before too long. As long as he eats something and isn't loosing weight, I wouldn't worry too much right now.

As far as him running away, its because he is scared. Look at the pic you posted, you are reaching down like a predator, you hand even looks like claws coming in towards him. Babies are often afraid of large objects coming in from above.
Try bringing your hand down to floor level then sliding it towards him, see if that helps. Get your fingers under him, put your thumb across his back then lift him up. If he wasn't handled by the breeder, he might not even accept this kind handling at first but give it time.

HunterBuusta

Original Poster
That's what I'm lost about though. I usually do scoop him on my index and he acts fine. But sometimes I have to scoop hi my the top side. I just don't want my little dude to starve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom