Beardie won't eat outside enclosure... not growing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshK

I thought Yoshi was doing well eating most of his crickets. I gave up trying to feed him outside b/c he would not cooperate.

Well today for the first time in two weeks I pulled out all of his tiles and other misc objects and there were probably 100 crickets in his enclosure.

I've got a dubia colony growing but it's not ready yet.

I'm done putting his crickets in the enclosure unless I find some other solution where they can't hide. I'm not sure if I'm willing to grout all the tiles down.. I like being able to pull them out easily one at a time to clean.

Any suggestions?

dEEjHaY

Hatchling Member
I was having a similar issue, only there was some small gaps against the glass and ceramic where crix were crawling down and under. I always made sure at the end of the day I pulled them up and removed any crix so they did not bug him while he was sleeping.

What I did was go and buy a clear, non toxic, silicone aquarium sealant, did research on the brand etc to ensure it was safe to use, I pushed all the tiles as snug as I could, and sealed the small gaps. The sealant is flexible enough that when I pull them all out to clean, I can put them back into position and the tiles meets the seal again.

It's worked pretty well thus far :)

JoshK

Original Poster
Another thing is.. when I got him from petsmart 16 days ago he was 6" and 9g. He's now at 6" and 12g.

Is that acceptable weight gain? I feel like he should be eating more / growing faster. I've never been able to get it to eat crickets at the rate people's other babies on the forum are doing... like not even 20 in a session.

I've spent so much money on this pet so far buying and switching various different lights, tanks, dubia colonies etc.. I just want him to be healthy.

He's shedding a lot right now.. his head is done, tail almost done, and you can see the skin starting to shed off his torso.

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
I got my baby when he was about 6.5"... He's grown at a pretty steady rate of 1/2 inch per week, which is considered average, based on what I've read. I don't know anything about weight gain since I still don't have a scale to weigh my little guy. He probably wouldn't sit still on it even if I got one.

Anyway, it takes a while for new babies to get over stress and start eating regularly. Just keep offering the food. My baby didn't start eating like crazy until about a month after I got him... Now he regularly eats 50-100 per feeding.

Also, shedding can affect a dragon's mood/behavior... Maybe he doesn't want to eat because he's shedding. It's hard to tell.

You do probably want to get a fecal sample to the vet to have it checked for parasites.

(btw, I almost named my dragon Yoshi, too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom