beardie with possible hurt leg

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie is almost 3 weeks old now and today when i had him out watering him I noticed his front leg looked alittle funny. It is a little bit curved in, quite a bit different from his other front leg, but it doesn't seem to hurt him or bother him in any way. He still runs around fine puts weight on it fine, he didn't mind at all when I was looking at it. He isn't acting like it's broken or anything.
But I'm not sure it hasn't always been that way I've only had him about 2 1/2 weeks but hes grown alot in that time, and I think I've seen him holding the leg like that from time to time when he's sunning but I'm not 100% sure. But I was wondering if it could possibly be a birth defect or something, I've seen simular things in calves and foals but do dragons have birth defects like this or is it something else?
It isn't always turned in some times it is facing forward but it doesn't ever seem to point out like the other front leg.

He's been eating gut loaded crickets every day three times a day as many as he can eat in about 10 minutes as well as fresh greens which I vary from day to day what it is so far I've been feeding green beens, bell pepper, banana, and carrot all in very tiny chuncks. And his tank is about 105 degree's F in his basking spot, and just over 80 in the cooler side.

daydreamingCimorene

Original Poster
I've been watching him more tonight and it looks like sometimes when he's running around that ankle is getting bent under so he's running on the ankle not the bottom of his foot. but the foot is still okay like when I picked him up he moved he toes and he still reached out with that foot. but its really starting to worry me.

Lennifer

Juvie Member
He should def not be walking/running on his ankles. I would get him to the vet asap. Are u dusting his crickets? If so, what kind of suppliments are u using & how often? It could possibly be a calcium/vitamin deficiency which can lead to metalic bone disease. Banana, carrots & bell pepper should be fed occasionally. Check out Beautiful Dragons. com for a list of good & bad nutrition. Collard Greens, Mustard Greens, Turnip Greens, Acorn Squash & Butternut Squash are a few good staple/every day foods. What size enclosure is he/she in? What kinf of UVB lighting are u using? What's the basking spot temp? Sorry to ask so many questions but this will help us to be able to identify what the issue could be.

~Sandy

daydreamingCimorene

Original Poster
I had a full sectrum light or something like that some one had given me, and I was planning on replacing it on pay day, but after posting this I borrowed some money and went and got a reptiglo I know its not as good as a repti sun but thats all the town 30 miles from me had I'm going to get a reptisun on payday.
I also hadn't been dusting it's crickets again something I was going o get on payday but I got some dragon dust now and have been using it everyday.
I had mostly been giving it the greenbeans, with the others only like once or so. and I've got collared greens now, but my little one doesn't seem to interested in vegs i've only seen him eat some twice some green bean and carrot once.
He/she is in a 29 gallon enclosure but its a taller one so floor space is about the same as a 20 gallon.
Basking temp is between 103 and 106 it varies a little.
He/she also isn't running on the ankle now, it only did that kinda the one night, but it is still running around with that leg curled in a bit and some times when it really gets running it will run on the side of the foot a bit. But I've also noticed that he/she runs along the walls the the aquaruim alot on that side could it be smacking it's foot on the glass or something?
Also today when I got home he/she has started shedding, it's tail is almost completely shed, is there anything I should watch for during shedding, or anything special i should do?

Lennifer

Juvie Member
Good morning,

For the shedding, you can give him warm soaks in water. This will help him, just be sure not to pull off any of the shed because this can cause damage to his scales.

When u say u have the ReptiGlo, what kind is it? The ReptiGlo 8 is actually not bad...but the others are. I'm glad to hear you are going to purchase the ReptiSun 10. Much better choice as far as the amount of UVB if provides.

You said your bearded dragon is only 3 weeks old? For the suppliments...u should have 3 kinds. A multiVitamin (I use RepCal Herptivite), Calcium w/out D3 (I use RepCal Calcium, Phospherous Free) & a Calcium with D3 (I use RepCal w D3). The reason u need 2 calcium suppliments is because too much D3 can be harmful. Some people do not use any calcium w/ D3 because most vitamins contain the D3 as well. This is up to u. I use it but only once a week. Below explains how often you shold dust your live feeders, depending on the age of your dragon. :mrgreen:

Between the ages of 2-4 months:
Dust their prey with plain calcium powder twice a day.
Dust their prey with vitamin powder twice a week.

Between the ages of 4-8 months:
Dust their prey with plain calcium powder once a day.
Dust their prey with vitamin powder once a week.

Between the ages of 8 months on:
Dust their prey with plain calcium powder two times a week.
Dust their prey with vitamin powder once a week.

~Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamiegates
Top Bottom