beardie watching, too big!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KahliLizard

Hatchling Member
So I am watching a bearded dragon as well as my own. My problem is the owners said it was to small for sand when I asked. My beardie is 11inches, and has sand, and is more than 15 months old. They got their beardie 6 , months after I got mine. So I was thinking it was only 8 inches. I set up my beardies old 10 gallon for it, and he, kahli (my beardie), stayed in his 40 gallon. Well, they brought it over, and it was deffinitely not 8 inches. It is more than 16 inches. So I have a giant beardie in a little cage, and a little beardie in a giant cage. I dont want to switch because that is meanto kahli, but I also dont want cutie(the other beardie) to be so squished up. My mom says that its fine since its only till sunday, but i cant help but feel so mean! Any suggestions?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
10g is too small of a space for a dragon that size. I would try to get to Petco while they're having a dollar/gallon sale (I think it may still be running) and pick up something bigger (it can't hurt to have a nice spare). If that isn't possible, then I suggest providing as much time outside of the tank as possible. You'll still need to provide enough heat. A clamp lamp placed somewhere in the room as a basking spot may do the trick for a short time. You can also provide a good amount of UVB with outside time in the real sunlight. Try your best not to confine the dragon and to provide for it's basic needs of proper heat & lighting. I also recommend removing sand substrate and switching to a solid substrate. Sand is very difficult to keep sanitary and can cause impaction. I'm working through a sand impaction issue with my rescue dragon and it's not fun for either of us.

KahliLizard

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay, thanks. I have been trying to keep it out of its cage yet still let it get lighting. I will take into consideration with the sand. Thanks again for the tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom