Beardie under his basking spot?!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey everynone..well for th past week or so my beardie hasnt really been on his basking spot..especially in the mornings..ill move him there but hell run away a few mins or so later...his temps are prettyy good roughly about 100 degrees.. he use to be on there all the time .he still eats well ....is it bkuz he is too hoottt? his cools side is about 80 degreeesss.... heres a pik..its about 848am

pharis032.jpg

BeardedDragon6

Juvie Member
I think Its because its early in the morning, my dragon hates the light in the morning, he always puffs his beard up and either tries to hide under his blankets untill hes not fully awaken or he tries to get out of his viv

lIFEkILLS11

Original Poster
Ohh I never thought of that ,., tht could be it ,...hey kwik question how many large crickets u think I shud feed him perfeeding with three feedings a day

BeardedDragon6

Juvie Member
lIFEkILLS11":8hf2e3vw said:
Ohh I never thought of that ,., tht could be it ,...hey kwik question how many large crickets u think I shud feed him perfeeding with three feedings a day

never feed crickets bigger than the size between his eyes, ur baby BD eats probably around 15-20 baby crix per feeding

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
Do u have a digital thermometer with a probe? If not you really need to invest in one of those b/c chances are the reason he's not basking is b/c it's too hot... If thats the case they can become extremely dehydrated and could possibly have a heat stroke.. For babies the temps should be around 105-110.. If they don't bask properly then they won't digest their food properly resulting in impaction.. As far as the crickets.. Like BD6 said only feed them food that is the same size b/t their eyes... You should feed them as much as they can eat in 10 minutes..

lIFEkILLS11

Original Poster
well i mean the crikets seems to fit in the middle of his eyes...i fed him 3 of them ...seems like tht would fill him up ...dont wana gorge him

BeardedDragon6

Juvie Member
lIFEkILLS11":p2u38mdi said:
well i mean the crikets seems to fit in the middle of his eyes...i fed him 3 of them ...seems like tht would fill him up ...dont wana gorge him

as a baby they need to eat a lot, in the wild its like this "the biggest,fattest and fittest lizard survives" better feeding him 3 times a day 5 mini crickets , U should be happy taht ur eats only small ones, my eats already adult ones 10 adults a day, he started to eat more :shock: , he eats around 9-10 or maybe even more in summer , he ate yesterday 4 adult crix + 2 locusts :shock:

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
lIFEkILLS11":380jm1sk said:

Most everyone on the forum will tell u that their eardies eat anywhere from 40 to 100 crickets a day.. Mine usually eats about 50 crickets and about 20 reptiworms.. If u use the 10 minute rule u won't gorge them I promise.. If u don't believe me then maybe u should check out some other threads about feeding crickets.. Just wanna make sure u dont under feed your baby bc I can promise 3 isn't enough.

lIFEkILLS11

Original Poster
yah my beardie, when i had him eating small crickets, was eating like 20-30 each feeding 3 times a day ....but around 6 ima throw five in there...big crix though, and see if he eats them all...

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Large crickets should only be fed to bigger beardies. Yours is quite small yet and feeding small to medium crickets seems to be the safest thing to do.

Also as Slave2Scarlett said, you have to make sure you are using either a digital thermometer with a probe end or a temperature gun as those are the only 2 ways to get accurate readings. Accurate temps are extremely important and if you're not using one of those, that could very well be the reason for the hiding and not basking.

lIFEkILLS11

Original Poster
yah i have a temp gun now and the light bulb used befor was gettin his basking spot scooorching!! ..now his basking spot reaches 105........and he seems to be handling the lage crix fine...he eats about 5-6 ....

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How is your beardie doing since adjusting the temps? Is he basking as he should?

He's only eating 5 to 6 crickets at a time? That really isn't very many for his young age and size. I think it would be a good idea to go back to smaller sized ones as that would make it easier for him to chew them and digest them so that he would eat more. He should actually be wanting to eat between 30 to 100 a day. He needs lots of protein now to help him grow which will also help make him healthy when he is older.

fenris

diamc":1vep65a3 said:
He should actually be wanting to eat between 30 to 100 a day. He needs lots of protein now to help him grow which will also help make him healthy when he is older.
out of that 30 to 100 about how many sittings is that? 3 feeding times a day or wha?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A beardie under 8 or 9 mo old, should be offered feeders 2 to 3 times a day and be allowed to eat all they want in about a 10 to 15 min timeframe so the 30 to 100 feeders a day is roughly a total amount for the day. After a beardie reaches 8 mo or so, they usually decide themselves when they only want 1 feeding a day of live food because they start to eat less and less feeders at the 2nd feeding of the day. Did that answer your question? :wink:

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Until my girl was 9 months old, she was fed twice a day (I only had her since she was 6 months). She would eat anywhere from 20-70 the first feeding then another 30-50 a second feeding. At nine months, she brumated or I would have continued those feedings to a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom