Beardie trouble breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

nena

So my baby Charlie who is going to turn 6 on April 9th has been having some breathing issues. This is will be the third time and I keep wondering why he's getting sick and if the antibiotics are even working. Like 2 months ago he got sick again, I took him in and the vet prescribed a new antibiotic "Cipro" and I gave it to him and he seemed better. Then last week I heard him wheezing again. Called the vet and he said to give him the Cipro for another week everyday and then every other day another week. He doesn't seem better though and all he does is sleep all day, his appetite has diminished but he still eats every other day or so. Here's a video of how he's breathing. There's also bubbles in his mouth but they are clear. Vet said that if he wasn't any better that he would need x-rays... This vet charges $98 for a visit so who knows how much the X-rays would be. I'll get them if it's necessary but I'd like to hear from you guys first.

http://youtu.be/ZOP4m7Fb3ZM

Thanks in advance!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I'm sorry that Charlie has this returning R.I. :( Can you list his exact type + brand of lights as well as day + night temps. ? You want to be sure that his temps. are pretty warm at night, 80 -82 to keep his immune system stronger. Daytime it should be about 100 on the basking side, 80 on the cool side.

Some dragons do need to try different meds. to knock out the R.I. If he isn't already on a probiotic, you might want to get some Benebac or Acidophiliz + to restore good gut flora. Others will offer suggestions as well. Hope he can get better soon !

nena

Original Poster
The vet just said he had a RI but didn't specify which kind. He is on a 4ft by 18in by 18in tank with a log strip light with a reptisun T8 10.0 uv bulb, then he has a hood lap with a regular 120watts bulb. Temps are 110-115 on the basking side and 80-85 on the cool side. At night time he sleeps in my bed on a tempurepedic pillow with a heating pad on the low side. Temperature in my room is pretty hot as well. He's slep there since he was born. I did change his heating pad to one that would stay on continuously about 4 months ago.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry to hear about Charlie. One thing you could try since respiratory issues/infections are very stubborn sometimes would be nebulizer treatments. They deliver the meds deeper into the lung tissue to help clear out infection. I would ask the vet about that, next. I think that would help out since the oral meds don't seem to be doing much for him.
Are you giving him a probiotic also while he is on medication?
Do you know what the humidity is in his tank?
Be sure it is no higher than 20% or so for helping out respiratory issues.
If he isn't eating a whole lot, you can also try feeding him some baby food such as chicken or turkey along with squash or sweet potato baby food, too.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

nena

Original Poster
Thank you Tracie! For probiotics can I give him soy yogurt? I remember giving him that back when he was a baby and had a parasite issue. Are there other probiotics that could be good? How much should I give him? I'll talk to the vet next week if he isn't better and ask about the nebulizer.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You are welcome! :D
Yes, you can give him non dairy soy yogurt, absolutely, either plain or flavored.
You can use the non dairy soy yogurt as a probiotic, or benebac powder found in the cat section at the pet store, or acidophiliz powder at the health food store. If you can't find any of those, you can purchase online, too.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

nena

Original Poster
So Charlie seems a bit better but he still wheezes a lot right before bed time. I gave gave him 1cc's of soy yogurt, is that enough? He wouldn't eat anymore anyways. I noticed that his left eye is teary too. While I was feeding him the yogurt tonight I noticed his eye was gleasening so I took a closer look and there were tears in his eye and they had dropped to his mouth. I had never seen him do this before and it's only one eye. Any thoughts?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy, it sounds like the respiratory infection is affecting his nasal passages some, with the tears in his eye. It doesn't look irritated at all?
Absolutely, the 1cc of yogurt is fine, did he like it at all?
Did Charlie sleep well I hope? Keep us posted on him, I hope that he gets to feeling better soon.

Tracie

nena

Original Poster
Just to give you guys an update, we took Charlie to see the vet on Wednesday and he did blood work and X-rays and said that everything came back fine. He prescribed him a new antibiotic and we started giving it to him that day. Since he came back he was acting strangely and kept a very light yellow color with a black beard. I attributed it to stress from staying at the vet and being sick... On Saturday night he took a turn for the worst, he was disoriented and acted like he didn't know us, I noticed his eyes were sunken in so I rushed him to the emergency clinic. Sadly there was no exotic vet on site so the ER vet told us that he was very sick and that his heart rate was accelerated, that he wasn't responsive... She said they could keep him overnight in an incubator with fluids and oxygen. At 7am the next morning they called me to tell me that his heart stopped beating... I can't believe he's gone!!! I'm a mess and keep going back to see if there was anything I could've done differently to save him! His normal vet got in touch with me yesterday and said that Charlie probably passed of old age... But he was only six!!! I don't think that's considered old age!

He brought us immense happiness in the six years that he was with us and I couldn't be happier to have the opportunity to be his mom! My heart is shattered and I miss him dearly but I'll always remember him as the happy and loving baby that he was! I love you baby! Wherever you are now!

SDragon

Juvie Member
Very sorry to hear he didn't make it. You are right, 6 is not old age but that doesn't make you culpable. There could have been an underlying issue that wasn't identified. As an analogy even healthy humans sometimes die younger than expected. It sounds like you tried to get him the best treatment you could, so served your obligation too him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom