Beardie suddenly stopped eating!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou786912

Hi all =]
I'm new to this site but I've been going on it for months :p
I got my baby beardie back in January, he was around 10 weeks so he's bout 26 now? ish. I'm assuming he's male...seems to be developing the bits...He's approx 14 inches long.

I originally had him in a 2 foot tank as I couldn't get the bigger at the time. A few days ago he was put into his new tank, which is 5 foot long. His temps are fine, he's got plants, and rocks and branches that he can get at different levels to get the temp that suits him.
He's always been a BIG eater, but over the last few days he's showing no interest in crickets at all. however..he will eat waxworms no problem!! I only give him a few a week, He's eaten no crickets today, but i tried a waxworm and he was more than happy to eat it.

His face is shedding in places, which I assume could be making him not himself? plus the reptile guy round the corner said that fact he's been put in to such a big tank, means he might be a bit stressed and off his food.

All day to day he's been under his rocks hiding and sleeping, but when I take him out the tank he's happy to crawl around and investigate.

The set up has a basking light (100W) with the habistat dimming thermostat, his UVB tube is a Repti Glo 10.0, I've been reading on here that the Repti Sun 10.0 would be a lot better so I'm going to get one of those over the weekend. The UVB takes up the length of his tank so he can always get access to it.

When he was first put in the tank he was eating quite a bit, veg (watercress, carrot, red pepper) and crickets with the calcium powder on them. However over the last few days his eating has deteriorated. Other than the waxworms!
I'm not sure if it's shedding? or the uvb tube and stress of being in such a new big tank? When I take him out the tank he's active and alert licking and investigating things so he seems alright, just inside his tank he's a little lethargic.

He goes to the toilet regularly...including down my clothes like he did earlier! and they're the usual black with white and they're not runny.

Any advice would be great :)

I'll get some pictures up when I figure out how to.

Louise =] x

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
Sounds like you're doing great. I would take the advice from your neighbor that the lack of appetite is due to the relocation stress. It might take him up to 2 weeks to eat normally again.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Hi Louise! :wave:

I'm glad to hear that you have discovered that the Reptisun 10.0 is a better UVB source and will be getting
one soon. :wink: Lighting, temps, and diet are very important.

Okay now there are 2 things that I read that may cause your beardie to stop eating.

1) Beardies go thru relocation stress whenever you change anything in their environment. This would cause the eating to slow down or even stop for several days possibly. (and you just changed viv's)

2) When beardies shed they sometimes don't have an appetite and can become somewhat grumpy.
(and you mentioned your beardie's was shedding)

Also I'm not sure if you have seen this chart on some nutritional foods for beardies or not so I'm giving
you the link; http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

I'm also sending you a PM on posting pic's. :wink:

Welcome to BD.org! :D

Lou786912

Original Poster
Thank you both of you for replying!
I'll get some pictures of him up as soon as possible!

I am known for over worrying :p I just want my little man to be happy and healthy.
Any change in his behaviour...especially eating! and I panic!

xx

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
I used to be a HUGE worrier at first.. I haven't worried at all in the past month.. now I'm worrying because I haven't been worrying as much... weird.

Lou786912

Original Poster
Yes this one has me wrapped round his little finger (?) lol well and truely!
I've been reading about your two headed dragon over the past few days by the way Barbara! I'm really impressed! It's so rare they live to be over a yr old, well done!

Okay so here are some pictures, first on the day I got him when he would fit near the whole of him in to my hand!

2j0yziv.jpg

I just can't believe he used to be this small!

352pvdw.jpg

First morning with me, and he ran after this cricket...then stopped moving when it did..so he never caught it...I had to hand feed for a month before he got the hang of it! I am to blame for him being a spoilt little boy!

2dc5npc.jpg

I had to post this one...the look on his little face is just amazing. He was around 10 weeks here.

2hyl1fb.jpg

Sitting on his favourite log!

16c6kjm.jpg

Same log...few months (ish) later! double the size!

345fz0p.jpg

He has the cutest face! has a lot of orange around his ears now though.

5ysydi.jpg

He loves watching what people are doing :)

6zc320.jpg

This is when he finally started getting interested in his veg!

24q37rm.jpg

At heart he's a BIG poser as you can see here!

15nludg.jpg

Bed time!

2mowbcz.jpg

He looks so small again now he's on a big log!

p7jt4.jpg

I thought he might drink some...he proceeded to sit in it after this picture. Lucky I give him baths!

295bl13.jpg

Finally this is the most recent, taken a few days ago. Getting some lovely colouring.

I just hope he sorts out his eating soon so I can stop panicing! I'm annoying my boyfriend a lot with my worrying!

Enjoy everyone!

xx

Lou786912

Original Poster
Erin I know what you mean!

but worrying means we care and that means they'll be happy and healthy :)

Just hope mine is being sulky rather than unwell...he certainly does have an attitude at times.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Louise thank-you! :D
An I must say your boy grew into a handsome young man. :love5:
But I don't think I caught his name. :?:

Lou786912

Original Poster
He is a stunner!
I just woke up him and he's out from underneathe his rocks, eyes open and looking slightly more awake than yesterday.
Maybe it just was just a bad few days....?

As for the name, I did have "Tyson" in mind as he's guna be a big one! and thought that suited...however "Baby" is what I called him the last few months seeing as I didn't know his gender and it's kinda stuck with me lol

xx

Lou786912

Original Poster
Ok so he's maybe not so good..
Keeps one of his eyes shut most of the time...but I've read that that could be to deal with the UVB? and that could explain why he's been hiding under his rocks?

I'm definately getting the new one but it has to be ordered in and probably won't be here until Monday...
Will he be alright until then?

Louise x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom