Beardie stopped eating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. Luna has slowed then stopped eating recently. We have had her for 4.5 months. She was a hefty eater for the first 3.5 months. Her diet is dubias, superworms and greens with an occasion treat of wax worms. Over the last month her eating has slowed but she was still eating.

The last week and a half she hardly eats. She has eaten greens a couple times but will not touch her supers or dubias. Being concerned i would present wax worms to get something in her and see if she would eat. She would eat about 5 or 6. Now she will maybe eat one on occasion. She also has mot been eating much of her greens. Maybe a few bites every other day.

She doesnt like to poop in her tank so she waits for her baath every other day. Her poops looks normal.

She hasnt lost any weight and is not currently in a shed.

I didnt think it was brumation because we estimate she is only about 6 months old. She is 18 inches long mow. She grew fast.

Her tank is 4ft x 2ft x 2ft. Her basking spot surface temp is at 101 to 104. The second tier is at 95 and bottom is 89. The ambient temp on warm side is 93 and cool side is 83. She has a basking light and a 10.0 uvb.

The past week we have also notices that she has spent more time away from her basking and chilling under the shelf instead. I would say she used to spend 85% of time basking and now about 60%.

She has not been showing stress maeks on her belly.

As I am watching her right now, she will cock her head and watch the dubias if they move around but not actually eat them.

We had the food in a dish but two days ago bought a clear dish so she can see that they are there (in case she wasnt noticing they were there). This didnt make a difference.

Anyone have any ideas? Is this normal?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like brumation to be since she isn't losing weight. Keep monitoring that and offer food if she wants it but otherwise I'd let her do what she wants if everything else seems OK.

Summerrayne23

Original Poster
Thank you CooperDragon. I wondered about brumation but someone told me they dont brumate when they are under a year old. I was pretty worried. She is eating her greens but barely eats her protein.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Generally they don't, but there are always exceptions. Every dragon is a little bit different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heidib715
Top Bottom