beardie smelling really bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

razor13

My beardie razor is starting to smell really bad. He goes to the bathroom in his cage and by the time I get home around 4 he has stepped in it I give him a bath right away and get poop off of him. He won't go to the bathroom during a bath. What can I do to bake him smell better .

tgolden

Sub-Adult Member
What kind of substrate you using? I use to use till and had the same issue, it would be .all over the place. I use alfalfa now and is soaks it up quick

herpgirl2510

Sub-Adult Member
It may be that the smell has soaked into the repti carpet. I would either take it out and wash it well or switch to stick down tiles they are so easy to keep clean.

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Maybe, if you're sick of him going in his viv, you could give him a bath in the mornings instead. To get mine to go I sometimes gently rub his belly in downward motions. That usually gets things going. :wink: I find its SO much easier to kind of bath train in this way. It cuts down on having to do a lot of cleaning.

Also, beardeddragon.co sells beardie soap thats non toxic and completely organic. Its pretty cheap too! Maybe you could try that to get rid of the smell.
http://www.beardeddragons.co/beardeddragon/index.php?route=product/product&path=73&product_id=180

drstevo

I've noticed my BD Deano didn't defecate in the bath tub as I didn't have the water hot enough. I make the water temperature hotter (but not too hot) and have him in there for about 15 mins and he always lets one loose lol. As mentioned before, maybe set your lights to come on an hour or so before you get up so he can get heated up and then you can give him a quick bath?

Regards,
Stevo.

Lauram63110

Juvie Member
I'm on my 2nd potty trained dragon. It's not hard to do, but keeping them on a schedule really helps:
4:45 - her lights go on
5:00 - I get up, make coffe, feed dog.
5:15- I feed dragon; by that time, she has been up and warm for 30 min.
5:45 - I take shower
6:00 - I put her in bath tub with fairly warm (not hot) water not quite up to her shoulders, but her belly and sides are mostly covered with warm water and let her soak while I do
my hair and makeup. That way I can keep an eye on her.
If the water gets cold, I drain and refill. Sometimes she likes a very fine spray of warm water on her back and sides. Other times, if she is not producing,
I leave the drain open and sit her at the deep end of the tub and use the shower massage to spray water down the tub to her so the warm water is running down
the tub and making the floor of the tub warm. Some of it kind of pools around her, but dont let it get too deep. She ALWAYS produces. Good warm water is the key to it.
Always supervise them in the tub because accidents can happen. Once she does it, rinse it down the drain, and then rinse her off with clear water. I keep her towel on the side of the tub and
after she is rinsed off, I pick her up and sit her on the towel. I wrap her burrito style an carry her back to her room. She seems to like the towel ritual.

I have NEVER had a beardie that stunk.

Once you get them on a schedule like that, life with them is a snap. No cleaning poop out of the viv!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Have you had your beardie checked for parasites? Any time poop really stinks it's always been parasites causing the rancid smell. Just a suggestion.

I've got mine trained for the tub, too, it's lovely having 4 dragons poop in the tub, I have 5, but one won't poop in the bath no matter how long I leave him there, he prefers to poop in his tank. I have all 5 on newspaper, having 3 free newspapers delivered to our building helps alot & it's so much easier to clean than anything else. I've been using it for 5 years, I've never had a problem. I get the newspapers & don't use them right away, let them all site for at least a week before using them, so I've never had any ink transfer. That might be a good substrate to use, I layer it so there's about 10 layers everywhere, so even when they poop, they don't to through all the layers. I've always found it much easier, plus it keeps a bit warm and it's smooth, so they love to lie down on it. One of mine likes to get under a couple of layers & peek out of his tank that way. Beardies are such fun pets!

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I rescued a beardie that was kept on repticarpet that was switched out daily, and he really stank. It took almost 2 weeks with daily baths and a substrate of newspaper to remove the smell. You might consider using tile as your substrate. I grouted mine in, and am very pleased with the ease of cleaning and lack of smell. Looks nice, too.

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
Katie007":4nwcmzfw said:
Also, beardeddragon.co sells beardie soap thats non toxic and completely organic. Its pretty cheap too! Maybe you could try that to get rid of the smell.
http://www.beardeddragons.co/beardeddragon/index.php?route=product/product&path=73&product_id=180

I have this stuff (the almond scented one) and love it! Just make sure you follow the directions & don't submerge/immerse your dragon in it. I also agree with all the bath potty training suggestions. My girl Lotus will poop in the tub so I always have the sink filled with warm water & ready to go, which is where she gets soaped down & rinsed off afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heidib715
Top Bottom