Beardie slept on ceramic night lamp has swollen neck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hannah.earle

Beardie name(s)
Flash
Hello,
I’m new to forum and reptile ownership. Our Beardie (Flash) slept on his ceramic night light (unbeknown to us). We woke up to him up there :(

His neck is swollen. It’s soft not hard. Looks to two sacks.

Will this go down?

Pictures attached.

Thanks
6A59F84B-EE06-4304-868E-87715BE04BB8.jpeg
44965792-5AFC-406D-9E42-57B09AEC04B3.jpeg
DBDCBCDB-9DBB-4CF8-887B-C454B1638932.jpeg
69C54E3A-24A7-43EC-9327-FC6CE59E88C3.jpeg
75E60122-9832-4855-A435-43482933DE4C.jpeg

Attachments

• 1583A64F-78D0-4A6A-BC28-BAA9E8998C6B.jpeg
    1583A64F-78D0-4A6A-BC28-BAA9E8998C6B.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 78

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello,
I’m new to forum and reptile ownership. Our Beardie (Flash) slept on his ceramic night light (unbeknown to us). We woke up to him up there :(

His neck is swollen. It’s soft not hard. Looks to two sacks.

Will this go down?

Pictures attached.

Thanks View attachment 66266 View attachment 66267 View attachment 66268 View attachment 66269 View attachment 66271
Is that a colored bulb? CHE's get too hot for them to touch and she would be burned really bad--- please get rid of the colored bulb if that is what it is --- they are harmful to the eyes and can cause long term eye damage -- heat in the tank at nite is only needed if your temps are falling below 65 at nite --- dragons like it cool and dark -- 65-75 --- air temps -- as far as the swollen neck I am going to have AHBD take a look -- did you feed her right before lights out or a hr or so before --- she could have stored food in the beard --- they do that sometimes but I am going to have AHBD take a look
@AHBD

Hannah.earle

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Flash
Is that a colored bulb? CHE's get too hot for them to touch and she would be burned really bad--- please get rid of the colored bulb if that is what it is --- they are harmful to the eyes and can cause long term eye damage -- heat in the tank at nite is only needed if your temps are falling below 65 at nite --- dragons like it cool and dark -- 65-75 --- air temps -- as far as the swollen neck I am going to have AHBD take a look -- did you feed her right before lights out or a hr or so before --- she could have stored food in the beard --- they do that sometimes but I am going to have AHBD take a look
@AHBD
Hi, thanks for the reply. We have just update the enclosure today and replaced the light with a UV. In all honestly we inherited Flash and we have been given lots of different information. We have only just been informed of not requiring the night light and lights out at night. All be it abit too late for the burning 😢.

We feed live food in the morning and he has had vegetables in his cage so he may have eaten some before bed, but no we don’t feed before bed time.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi, thanks for the reply. We have just update the enclosure today and replaced the light with a UV. In all honestly we inherited Flash and we have been given lots of different information. We have only just been informed of not requiring the night light and lights out at night. All be it abit too late for the burning 😢.

We feed live food in the morning and he has had vegetables in his cage so he may have eaten some before bed, but no we don’t feed before bed time.
ok I would pull the food out 3 hrs before lights out --- what kind of UVB did you get ? the basking temps and UVB are the lifeline to the dragon if any of this is off or incorrect that is not good --- you want surface basking temps taken w/a digital probe thermometer 95-100 for a juvie / adult -- place the probe on the spot were she sits to bask wait 10 min get the temp -- the probe does not need to stay there all the time but spot check about once a week - heating bulbs do get weak over time -- the UVB NO coils please - you want a long tube fixture 24" for a 40 + gallon tank --- I can post some links to those fixtures and bulbs --- this is crucial to the dragon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, that is a chubby neck on your pretty beardie ! I know it's really hard to figure out exactly how to set up when you get a new dragon from someone else so don't feel bad. It doesn't look like the beard is burned, it look like the swelling that some beardies get which is not always easy to figure out. Some beards just get saggy all of a sudden, sometimes it's fluid, sometimes food stuck there, etc. Can you show pics of all the lights you have now and how it's set up ? Make sure that Flash can't jump up + hang on any of the light fixtures, beardies seem to want to try that sometimes.

Hannah.earle

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Flash
ok I would pull the food out 3 hrs before lights out --- what kind of UVB did you get ? the basking temps and UVB are the lifeline to the dragon if any of this is off or incorrect that is not good --- you want surface basking temps taken w/a digital probe thermometer 95-100 for a juvie / adult -- place the probe on the spot were she sits to bask wait 10 min get the temp -- the probe does not need to stay there all the time but spot check about once a week - heating bulbs do get weak over time -- the UVB NO coils please - you want a long tube fixture 24" for a 40 + gallon tank --- I can post some links to those fixtures and bulbs --- this is crucial to the dragon
Hi Karrie,

I do have a coil UV 🤦🏻‍♀️. We will get a full tube. We have just upgraded his enclosure yesterday and placed him in it today and he will not be able to reach the lights! Links will be great and I will need to stop googling things! He is about 13/14 months old. Would that still be juvie?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi Karrie,

I do have a coil UV 🤦🏻‍♀️. We will get a full tube. We have just upgraded his enclosure yesterday and placed him in it today and he will not be able to reach the lights! Links will be great and I will need to stop googling things! He is about 13/14 months old. Would that still be juvie?
Hes a young adult ---- here are some links for the UVB
24" fixtures for a 40 + gallon tank
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood this will come w/a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up the distance and placement tho is different from the one you need which is a 22" bulb Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
or this one Arcadia ProT5 12% UVB Bulb With Hood
or this one 24" or a 2ft SunBlaster NanoTech T5 HO - Fluorescent Fixture with 6400K Lamp
these are all good fixtures and bulbs depending on your screen on the tank will determine where the UVB will go - please post back on here when you get the UVB and I will help you get it placed --- please make sure your not using a off white or yellowish basking bulb NO daytime bulbs they have a coating on them called neoyidium that is harmful to the eyes -- NO colored bulbs -- examples of what you need are a CLEAR bright white basking bulb -- example Exo Terra Intense basking bulb or a Zoo Med repti basking bulb -- you want one that keeps temps 95-100 for him taken w/a digital probe thermometer Zoo Med Digital Thermometer you want two of those

Hannah.earle

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Flash
Hi there, that is a chubby neck on your pretty beardie ! I know it's really hard to figure out exactly how to set up when you get a new dragon from someone else so don't feel bad. It doesn't look like the beard is burned, it look like the swelling that some beardies get which is not always easy to figure out. Some beards just get saggy all of a sudden, sometimes it's fluid, sometimes food stuck there, etc. Can you show pics of all the lights you have now and how it's set up ? Make sure that Flash can't jump up + hang on any of the light fixtures, beardies seem to want to try that sometimes.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hi, thanks for replying. We have the heat lamp and a coil UVB (which I have just been informed is not acceptable). So we will pop out today and fix this! I will also get a second digital thermometer today as we have upgaraded the size of the enclosure and will need to have one at each end.

Will I not feed him today while his neck is puffy?

We are learning a lot. Flash is about 14 months old is that adult or juvie still?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
View attachment 66272 View attachment 66273 View attachment 66274
Hi, thanks for replying. We have the heat lamp and a coil UVB (which I have just been informed is not acceptable). So we will pop out today and fix this! I will also get a second digital thermometer today as we have upgaraded the size of the enclosure and will need to have one at each end.

Will I not feed him today while his neck is puffy?

We are learning a lot. Flash is about 14 months old is that adult or juvie still?
@AHBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom