Beardie seems to have stomach/back spasms or twitches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, my year old female beardie seems to be having some muscle twitch or spasm at irregular intervals and is not as active, most likely because of discomfort. This started over a week ago when I became worried about her being impacted (she hadn't pooped in a week.) When I had her out on me and I ran my finger down her back she would have a twitch/jerk/hicupp response when I touched a certain area on her lower spine. I thought this might be due to constipation, but after 3 baths she finally pooped, and the twitch has increased to irregular intervals when she moves or when I touch her stomach or back in certain areas. Do you think she has hurt herself? If so this must be an injury that occured from falling or jumping in her tank, or do you think this is a digestive/intestinal issue? Any advice would be appreciated. :(

carmdac

Hatchling Member
Hi dayscatwoman!
I think it may help people understand if they knew more of the husbandry and about your dragon as well.
How long have you had your beardie?
How old?
Size?
Sex?
Size tank?
Temps and how they are read?
Lights?
UVB? Brand & Type?
What you are feeding?
What type of Substrate?
Are you using Calium and vitamins?

What you are describing could be as simple as bringing up the temps in your tank. It could be impaction or even MBD.

dayscatwoman

Original Poster
How long have you had your beardie? Almost 1 year, bought at St. Louis Reptile Show last Dec.
How old? -about 1 year, was juvie when bought
Size?-16 inches from head to end of tail
Sex?-female
Size tank? 36 in long, 18 in wide, 17 in. tall
Temps and how they are read?: 100 basking, exo-terra round stick on thermometer
Lights? 1 basking 100 watt (day) 1 heat for night
UVB? Brand & Type?Repzilla strip light flourescent fixture(just bought 1 month ago) Previouslly had Reptisun coiled compact, but swiched out for fear of eye damage mentioned on post.
What you are feeding?:Mustard or Turnip greens with yellow squash and apples, dubia roaches occassionally (not since impactation)
What type of Substrate? was caci-sand, have switched to paper towels
Are you using Calium and vitamins? Spray on vitamins for salad, calcium dust on insects

carmdac

Hatchling Member
How is he doing today? Try to switch back to reptisun, but use the straight one not the coil. also see if you can bump up his basking temp like 5 or so degrees. Keep him hydrated as well.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Your temps are most likely inaccurate as well... the stick on round or strip therms can be off by as much as 20*-/+.

Also, when you mount the tube ReptiSun, place it for now as close to 6" as possible.. I must admit what you are seeing could be the precursor to Metabolic Bone Disease.

A vet visit with a qualified herp vet is in order as well..
Janie

dayscatwoman

Original Poster
Beardie went to vet today. She wasnnt impacted but did have a parasite and was given a wormer and a couple different vitamin shots. She seems to of perked up some from that, but I'm sure alot of it was beardie attitude at all the bodily violations. I also got a good thermomer that I have on my other beardie tank (measures basking and cool side of enclosure-digital.) Thanks for all your advice. Christine

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Christine... I would also like to advise you to get the powder Herptivite and Repcal calcium. Both are highly rated, and with the D3 your baby will get what he needs...
Dosing is as follows:
m-w-f calcium on the first insect feeding of the day.
Saturday, vitamins on the first insect feeding of the day.

Since baby is a year or older, this will do nicely.
Pick up some Soy Yogurt, this will help keep tummy bacteria healthy, and baby eating better.

Here is a great list of foods you can offer your dragon.. stick with Green for daily staples, and Black for treats, 1-2 times a week...
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

Also, try to get some Dubia Roaches, these are jam packed with protein, so less is better, and since they breed easily, a rather cheap in the long run staple.

Hope this all helps out !
Janie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Please keep us posted on how she is doing. I hope that the supplementation helps her out. Don't hesitate to ask more questions, as needed.

Tracie

dayscatwoman

Original Poster
Thank you both for your replies. Sorry I haven't been in touch recently. She seems to be doing much better. I replaced her bulb with a reptisun 10.0. She has been pooping more frequently and is eating pretty well. (Her main insect food source is superworms or dubia roaches- I have a colony and have been dusting her insects well now, though I will see about the recommended Herptivite recommended and see if I already have that calcium powder. Thanks so much for the advice and interest and I am always happy to hear and reply. Christine

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Christine,

I am happy to hear she is doing better now. I hope that continues!
Great you replaced her UVB tube with a Reptisun 10 tube bulb, that should help out quite a bit. At least she is eating pretty well right now, also. Let us know if you need anything!

Tracie

dayscatwoman

Original Poster
Thanks so much for your feedback. She is doing much better, but not as active as I'd liked to see. The twiches seemed to have diminished or gone completely. She is eating some of her salad with veggies and fruit, but not like she did previously. I have purchased a good thermometer as recommended, taken her to a vet and ruled out impactation, and she has been dewormed and given viatamin shots. She now has the recommended buld (reptisun 10.0) and I am dusting everything regularly. She is eating her insects and pooping more frequently then she used to. so I guess she's on the up side. She seems to have more mobile days than others, and I don't know If I should worry or am now being overly paranoid. Thanks for everything though, this site has been more helpful to me with my dragons than any other knowledge source I could acquire otherwise. Always in appreciation, Christine

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Christine,

I am happy to hear she is doing well now!
You have made a tremendous effort to change her environment for her. I am quite sure that she is very thrilled with her new light. I think she will go back to eating her greens & veggies more, as she continues to get better.
I am glad that she was not impacted that is good news. She is most likely relaxing & getting well now. Just keep a good eye on her, & continue to update up on her. You can ask any questions, whenever you need to.

Tracie

dayscatwoman

Original Poster
Thanks Tracie, and Janie, She seems to be doing about the same. I bought the Herpivite powder and other one listed since I had a differenct calcium dust and was using Fluker's spray on-vitamin for their salads. I was wondering if you can overdo calcium and vitamins? Should I only dust the first insect I feed (M, W, F) or do I dust all the insects I feed on those days? Same question with the vitamin powder. Do I only use on 1 feeder insect on Sat. or on all food given to her? If I can't overdose I may just use all the time. Thanks Again, Christine

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Christine,

How is she doing today?
The calcium should be used once daily on her feeders, 5 times per week. The herptivite can be used twice per week.
Once she reaches a year or so you can back down on the calcium to 3 or so times per week & once a week for the vitamins.
To answer your question on overdoing it on calcium, yes, you can give too much. What can happen is that it will cause constipation, hard & discolored urates, & calcification of organs.
If you have a liquid spray on calcium, then if you want to rotate between the powder & the spray that is fine also. Just don't use both together on the same day, especially if she eats a lot of the feeders with powder on them. If she doesn't eat many with the powder on them you could use the spray or powder on her greens if that will work.
Don't worry though, just use properly & there will be no problems at all. :D

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom