Beardie scratching!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shakey90

Hi, my beardie, Leo, is around 10 months old now. I hav him around 8 months and usually everything is okay. I take him out a lot, basking temps are good, feeding is regular. But every time I turn off his light he heads to his corner to sleep. Thats not the problem, the problem is while he is dosing off with his eyes closed he scratches with his right claw like hell! through the kitchen paper bedding and onto the glass. This usually goes on for about 20 mins. Is there a reason for this or is he just sleep digging or something?

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Lol, Ms Priss does this. I think they're "building nests" to sleep in. The bottom of her viv is (well, was, I broke it moving it last week..) wood though, so it's much less irritating than nails on glass.

My beardie is doing this right now as I type. He's scratching away on his reptile carpet making it softer and such. Should I give him something soft to snuggle on? If so what should I use?

Venom508

Juvie Member
oh i just thought of somthing.

do you know when you stp in a puddle and it splashes up ur leg, semi dries and gets itchy like mad?

that happens to roo and he doesnt have mites cuz he only does it in the bath and when he is in the bath i never see em on his head.
cuz he spalshes around alot cuz at first he wants out of the bath but then he calms down.

just a thought

Venom508

Juvie Member
put a tshirt that you have worn with ur smell on it that you havent washed, and give to him for a nest it might help

sorry im not with it today..

to check for mites. put him in the bath and if you see little bugs run to the top of his head he has mites.

theimmortaljedi

Hatchling Member
put a tshirt that you have worn with ur smell on it that you havent washed, and give to him for a nest it might help

Do you just put it in at night? DO their claws get stuck? Do you put in the hole shirt or cut it in half? Thanks.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
I would think to put it in only at night when you want him to sleep. You don't have to cut it up....just kind of make a little nest out of it for him to crawl into. They love having something to snuggle in. I think it gives them a sense of security.

twizzymayne

hey hows it going? im new with this bearded dragon stuff. Do they really act like a little kid or something?
oh and another question that goes along with the unwashed shirt smell thingy.
can it get to know its owners name from others? we have some geckos to and we read up on them and they do.

peera

Sub-Adult Member
twizzymayne":742cf said:
hey hows it going? im new with this bearded dragon stuff. Do they really act like a little kid or something?
can it get to know its owners name from others? we have some geckos to and we read up on them and they do.

Well, as a mother to both a human and dragons... They're more like adults that you have to do everything for. Think cats, maybe.

Know the owner's name? Probably not. Their own, and they can identify the slave that feeds them by sight and scent. I have geckos too, and it's no contest that the dragons are way smarter. I'm pretty sure our geckos don't know us from a hole in the wall.

Neromom39

Gray-bearded Member
peera":0c2ca said:
twizzymayne":0c2ca said:

Well, as a mother to both a human and dragons... They're more like adults that you have to do everything for. Think cats, maybe.

Know the owner's name? Probably not. Their own, and they can identify the slave that feeds them by sight and scent. I have geckos too, and it's no contest that the dragons are way smarter. I'm pretty sure our geckos don't know us from a hole in the wall.

We have a leopard gecko and I can't confirm whether she can distinguish "owners" or not, but it seems that when I am at her enclosure she looks up at me and if I put my hand in she climb up to come out. She doesn't do this with my hubby as I am the one who mainly takes care of her. Probably wishful thinking....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom