Beardie opens mouth a lot while under his heat lamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

kobe24

My beardie has been just holding his head up towards the heat lamp and i mist him regularly and the heat lamp isnt too close. The temp is around 110 degrees in that area. So i dont understand why hes doing this. Thanks

Esther19

BD.org Addict
That is normal. He is opening his mouth to cool off, which is called gaping. If he stays under the light, but opens his mouth, his basking temp must be just right for him. If he avoids the light, it might be too hot. If he does not gape, it is probably too cold.

kobe24

Original Poster
Esther19":1y2npbc8 said:
That is normal. He is opening his mouth to cool off, which is called gaping. If he stays under the light, but opens his mouth, his basking temp must be just right for him. If he avoids the light, it might be too hot. If he does not gape, it is probably too cold.
Thanks for the advice i just read that that is why they do that , thank you for your help.

kaseys42

if this has always been something she has always done than i probably wouldnt worry. however if this is something new i would keep an eye on her. are u misting her in her cage? that is a bad thing. it can raise the humidity in her cage which can cause an upper respitory infection. one of the signs of a URI are gaping of the mouth. if she begings to slow down on her eating and her behavior changes i would worry. remember misting causes humidity wich can cause a URI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom