Beardie only recognizes dusted crickets as food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daj

The title says it all really, my young bearded dragon (3-4 months old) only seems to recognize dusted (calcium) crickets as food. He eats normal crickets but he doesn't seem to realize they are food most of the time... any tips/help?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Some of them seem to have that preference. Its just a pickiness issue. Do you dust your crickets at every meal? If so, then it shouldn't be a big deal. You could also try offering a variety of bugs including black soldier fly larvae, silk worms, or roaches which he may enjoy.

Daj

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1lx86sdq said:
Some of them seem to have that preference. Its just a pickiness issue. Do you dust your crickets at every meal? If so, then it shouldn't be a big deal. You could also try offering a variety of bugs including black soldier fly larvae, silk worms, or roaches which he may enjoy.
I try to dust once a feeding per day. My calcium powder has D3, which I read somewhere can be bad because of them overdosing on it or something? I don't know, I just don't want to harm him.

Daj

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2r5pyjzh said:
whoops seems ive double posted

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
D3 overdose is possible but it takes quite a bit from what I've read. If you're giving the bugs a nice even light dusting it shouldn't be a problem. I'd follow the instructions that come with your supplement if they're available (they aren't always written on the bottle) What kind of UVB light are you using?

Daj

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3vlv2p1n said:
D3 overdose is possible but it takes quite a bit from what I've read. If you're giving the bugs a nice even light dusting it shouldn't be a problem. I'd follow the instructions that come with your supplement if they're available (they aren't always written on the bottle) What kind of UVB light are you using?
I'm using a fluorescent uvb and there are no instructions on the package.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is it a tube? Do you know if it's T5 size or T8 (thicker)? If there aren't any instructions I'd go with the general rule to lightly dust bugs at every meal with calcium and if you wish to use multivitamin then replace the calcium with that a couple of days per week. I think a good all-in-one such as Repashy Calcium Plus may be a good idea if you can get it.

Daj

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1onsqpgr said:
Is it a tube? Do you know if it's T5 size or T8 (thicker)? If there aren't any instructions I'd go with the general rule to lightly dust bugs at every meal with calcium and if you wish to use multivitamin then replace the calcium with that a couple of days per week. I think a good all-in-one such as Repashy Calcium Plus may be a good idea if you can get it.
It is a tube. I don't know the exact size, I kept the package in my closet somewhere (ill find it tomorrow probably). I was planning on getting some multiviatmin this weekend. I still wanna try to get him to eat it without a dusting, but I dont want to starve him.

Daj

Original Poster
CooperDragon":10q9ye3u said:
Some of the supplements (Repashy Calcium Plus comes to mind) are designed to be used at every feeding as stated on the packaging. I think that might be a good bet for you since he likes the dusted bugs. http://www.amazon.com/Repashy-Calcium-Plus-All-Sizes/dp/B00CI6K6H6
Ok so a light dusting every feeding? I might get this. Also, I might try to start gettiing him to recognize food without dusting on it. Wish me luck.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yep, just a light coat. I put bugs in an empty yogurt container (or something similar in size), put a bit of the supplement over them and shake gently. Then I let the bugs walk out of the container and leave the excess supplement. This gives them a nice light even coat.

He may start to like bugs without supplementation eventually. It sounds like just a picky mood similar to a little kid not wanting crust on their sandwich.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom