Beardie not making poo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirakai

My Beardie hasn't made a poo since Friday (Sunday is over now and she's sleeping). She was on play sand for the first 7 months of her life as her breeder told me that's how he keeps all of his beardies and he has never had impaction. During her time on sand she went poo daily. But now that I have put her on tile, then on shelf liner the last two months she has not been wanting to make poo everyday. I don't know if it's psychological, or physical.

I gave her a warm bath today for 20 minutes, and she didn't go poo. This was the first time she didn't go poo in her bath. So now on Monday it will be three days she didn't go poo. She is on a diet of mustard greens, reptiworms, dragonbytes, yellow squash, and I have also been putting a few drops of olive oil on her reptiworms recently. Should I only feed her mustard greens while she isn't going poo? I don't want to make it worse.

Any advice is appreciated. I wish I could take her to the vet, but I'm on a budget. I can't pay anything too outrageous probably. So that has to be last resort, as I have no idea how much that would cost.

my1stBD

Juvie Member
If i do my math here your Beardie as about 10 months old - ish right.
Its not an issue if they poop less frequent as they age. Mine went from daily as a juvie till about 7-8 months, to every second day between the ages of 8-10 months, to every 4 days at 11 mnths and now its every 5-6 days at 17 months.

Their poop schedule does tend to decrease as they age.

Just a few things you have to be sure of 1st:

Is she eating regularly? How much / how often (as intake is proportional to output)
Is the poop well formed and NOT smelly?
Does she have any other signs or symptoms causing you to worry?
Have you had a fecal done before? If so how long ago and was it clear of parasites?

Mirakai

Original Poster
my1stBD":9guv5swb said:
If i do my math here your Beardie as about 10 months old - ish right.
Its not an issue if they poop less frequent as they age. Mine went from daily as a juvie till about 7-8 months, to every second day between the ages of 8-10 months, to every 4 days at 11 mnths and now its every 5-6 days at 17 months.

Their poop schedule does tend to decrease as they age.

Just a few things you have to be sure of 1st:

Is she eating regularly? How much / how often (as intake is proportional to output)
Is the poop well formed and NOT smelly?
Does she have any other signs or symptoms causing you to worry?
Have you had a fecal done before? If so how long ago and was it clear of parasites?

Wow that is totally new to me about their poop schedule decreasing with age, since humans usually go daily. But thank you for that information. She made poo today Monday. So that makes like every 3 days for her? I notice she didn't eat too well today. But she ate a few dragonbytes, mustard greens, and a few reptiworms. Not as much as she usually eats, but she ate. Also her poop was well formed today. But what poo am I looking for regarding possible problems?

I've never had a fecal done for her before. What would that entitle? How much do they usually cost also?

my1stBD

Juvie Member
Pooping every 3 days isnt such a big deal at 10-11 mnths of age, so i wouldnt worry too much. As long as its well formed and not "clear the room" smelly.

They also kind of taper of their eating patterns as they age, but before attributing the eating less to growing up, you have to be 100% sure their isnt an underlying cause for it. Factors which inluence their appetites are:

1. Parasites - determined by having a fecal exam done by a vet. (Cant tell you what it would cost, it depends on your vet and the area you stay in. I have read people mentioning anything from $25 to $85 for the test, but like i said it depends from vet to vet)

2. Oncoming shed, this causes them to sometimes be a bit cranky and to eat less.
3. Impropper temps and/or UVB exposure
4. Being constipated / blocked up.
5. Relocation stress - (not applicable to you as youve had your beardie for a while) UNLESS youve moved her to a new tank, changed decor or tank setup recently, then they can have a bit of relocation stress. Dragons dont really like change too much :wink:

So if all the above check out and is normal, its not an issue.

To answer your next question, remember these are only signs that CAN be present, sometimes parasites are present without having any of the signs, so its always better to have a yearly fecal done anyway.
But what poo am I looking for regarding possible problems?
It will be really really stinky, not formed propperly with bits of undigested feeders / food, sometimes a bloody discharge with the poop, really hard/dry poop.

Grogshla

Juvie Member
what are the temps
what lights are you using
how far are these from your dragon
Perhaps put a little tub or plate of sand and see if he craps on it

Mirakai

Original Poster
She was born last June, so she is basically a little older than 9 months. After three days of not pooing, should I be feeding her any reptiworms or stick to veggies till she poops after the third day?

Also her temperature in the tank goes from 90-95, and I have the reptisun 10.0 light too. She also has a box of sand on the side that she goes in sometimes to poop. So her husbandry should be ok. Both lights are about 8 inches away from her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom