Beardie not laying eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pikafuey

Hi there! First time beardie owner here. So up until two days ago, I thought my one year old bearded dragon Atlas was a male. After concerns that made me take them to the vet, I learned he was in fact, a she; and also pregnant with 20 eggs seen via x-ray. These eggs are just infertile ones (she is housed alone)

So I got home and got a nice bin set up in her 40 gallon, with the heat light on it and soil for her to dig in. She has been digging away the past two days, but only three eggs have come out. Should I be concerned that she still hasn't laid her clutch of eggs? The vet had given me liquid calcium and a liquid diet supplement; which she has been getting daily via the dosage instructions. She also has been getting warm baths to help her as well. I'm just very stressed and worried about her. I'm also super paranoid about egg-binding.

Am I just being overly anxious? Or do you guys think she should have laid her eggs by now? Please help :(

Pikafuey

Original Poster
AHBD":3gkp9zm6 said:
Hi there, as long as she's still active she's O.K. If she were to become very lethargic, not moving, possible blackbeard that would be signs of her being eggbound. Do you have pics of her lay bin to post ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Yes she is still fairly active. Though she won't eat, so I have the liquid diet on hand to feed her thankfully. Here are the pictures:

full

full

full

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's a good box, partly covered for privacy. You could add a little more soil but she should use it either way. She'll probably lay the rest of them soon.

Pikafuey

Original Poster
AHBD":r4dkin1f said:
That's a good box, partly covered for privacy. You could add a little more soil but she should use it either way. She'll probably lay the rest of them soon.

That's a relief that it's set up decently. I really hope she does! I have been so stressed since Sunday about this haha

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I'm not at all trying to worry you, but do keep a very close eye on her since she laid 3 eggs on Sunday but has not laid the rest of 20 yet...I come from a family of parrot breeder/owners, and egg-binding is a innate worry that I always have, as it's such a horrible situation for them to be in, and is always fatal if help is not gotten pretty directly after the problem starts. The fact that she's not eating doesn't worry me, as that can be normal due to discomfort or just the stress of laying the clutch. But if you see any signs of a black-beard, sudden lethargy/sleeping a lot during the day, etc. then please be sure to get her to either the Reptile Vet or if it's at night or on the weekend to the closest 24/7 Animal Hospital...

Pikafuey

Original Poster
EllenD":1gx1a9e6 said:
I'm not at all trying to worry you, but do keep a very close eye on her since she laid 3 eggs on Sunday but has not laid the rest of 20 yet...I come from a family of parrot breeder/owners, and egg-binding is a innate worry that I always have, as it's such a horrible situation for them to be in, and is always fatal if help is not gotten pretty directly after the problem starts. The fact that she's not eating doesn't worry me, as that can be normal due to discomfort or just the stress of laying the clutch. But if you see any signs of a black-beard, sudden lethargy/sleeping a lot during the day, etc. then please be sure to get her to either the Reptile Vet or if it's at night or on the weekend to the closest 24/7 Animal Hospital...

Thank you! This morning she managed to lay 23 eggs! I am so relieved that she's not egg-bound! Though I don't know if she is done. I gave her another warm bath sometime after, and she popped out another egg while in there. Is there a way to tell if she's full done or not?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh good, I thought she'd get down to business soon. :) There's no way to tell if she has anymore [ unless she kept scratching but even that's not conclusive ] , although people claim to " feel " them you really don't know what your'e touching in those big old abdomens. She may pop out another one here + there, some do that way.

Is she acting O.K. now, has she eaten yet ? But yes, she should be fine.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Pikafuey":2812f3hb said:
EllenD":2812f3hb said:

Thank you! This morning she managed to lay 23 eggs! I am so relieved that she's not egg-bound! Though I don't know if she is done. I gave her another warm bath sometime after, and she popped out another egg while in there. Is there a way to tell if she's full done or not?

AWESOME! I am always happy to hear this new! I only ever lost one single breeder parrot to egg-binding, it was an English Budgie, and I literally caught it the moment it presented as a problem, got her into a steamy bathroom with her in a warm water soak, put oil around/in her vent, and then got her to the 24 hour Animal Hospital within an hour of seeing that something was wrong, and she still died about 20 minutes into being at the Hospital, and she did suffer horribly. Bird breeders don't usually have any attachment or relationship to their breeder birds, as even a hand-raised bird that used to be friendly will typically turn into a "wild" bird after it bonds to a bird of the opposite sex and start mating. So it wasn't a bird that I had much personal attachment to, but I will never forget seeing her face and hearing the screams of pain that poor bird made. This was a bird that bit me every time I opened the cage door, but she wanted help from me that night, and she got all the help she could have possibly had and she still died. Ever since then the subject of Egg-Binding has been an important one to me, as it's such a freak thing that can happen suddenly to any bird, any reptile, even ones that are perfectly healthy and given the best diets and supplement schedule. It just happens, and it's a horribly devastating situation for all involved. So I tend to get paranoid about it, lol...But in this situation, to me it's always better safe than very, very sorry...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom