Beardie not growing..I'm super concerned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little background information: I got my beardie last November, in 2017. I got him from Petco, and he's my first bearded dragon.
He has a large UVB bar that was gotten in August, and his tank runs about 94-104 degrees throughout the day. He has a 40 gallon, and he is on carpet for substrate. (The carpet is very short so he does not eat it, nor does it catch his nails.)
He doesn't eat much, but it is always offered for him. He eats medium dubia roaches, and superworms with calcium on them.
About tiwce a month I give him a bath, and once a month I give him liquid calcium drops.
Salad is offered every other day, alternataing with the roaches

So his feeding patter is: roaches, salad, roaches, salad, roaches, salad, and so on.

Here is some pictures of him, taken a few minutes ago.

100890-1985291895.jpg

100890-8639646563.jpg

100890-9977991241.jpg

I'm so worried about him. I have three others who are growing good.

I don't know if it is important, but he recently just got out of burmation.

(Also, I've posted this question before in October, and I felt as if it was too late to reply to that one)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, when you say he's not eating much, how much do you mean ? His size looks great. The problem that is developing with beardie owners is that they think a huge belly, a tail like pepperoni stick [ slight exaggeration ] and a saggy beard are normal ! It's really alarming but continues to be thought of as the norm.

Your dragon looks quite fit so if you're concerned that he's underweight he's definitely not. :)

jadabear17654

Original Poster
Since he doesn't eat much so, I put roaches and worms in a little plastic circle dish so he can eat them as he wishes. He eats anout two dubia roaches a week, and two worms everyday on average.

I'm not worried as much about him underweight as much as just really small. The other beardie we have who is a year old is already super big, and the other two are six months old and already about his size

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Was he a baby when you got him ? If so then he'd be a little over a year old. Factor in that he brumated [ how long was that ? ] and he's perfectly fine for his age. It often takes a little while after brumation to get back a strong appetite. If he doesn't eat well after a couple more weeks you might opt for a fecal test. Other than that, he looks good.

jadabear17654

Original Poster
He was a baby when I got him, yes, and he was the smallest in the tank.

He was in burmation for about four months

Thank you for the replies, btw ? I appreciate it

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome ! He looks great for having been in brumation 4 months. I don't let mine sleep longer than 3 anymore. Safer to check on them before TOO much time goes by.

jadabear17654

Original Poster
It's such a relief to hear that he looks good for being in burmation. Thank you for all your help and Information and I will keep that in mind for if he slips into burmation again.

When it comes to burmation, I have heard people say not to let them sleep for longer than two weeks and I've heard people say to not wake them up all...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom