Beardie not eating!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
You may remeber me from last week when I posted about my new Bearded Dragon, Sasha. Everything was find until Tuesday (April 14) The other days I gave her 5 small worms a day. She pooped normally and was active so I didn't change anything. On Tuesday however, she only ate one worm and refused anything else I tried to give her. I didn't think much of it at the time. I just assumed she just wasn't that hungry at the time. Now it's Friday the 17th and she still wont eat. She's still pooping so she's not impacted or anything. She's refused various different things. Lettuce, Grapes, Worms, Crickets, and beardie food from Petco. Now she won't move from her basking spot and just sits there with her eyes closed. She's breathing and looks at me for a couple seconds then closes them back up. She has proper temperatures, her UVB bulb is fine, her food was dusted with calcium once a day and she had normal human interaction. I really don't want her to starve to death and I can't keep wasting money just to have her refuse it. I don't know what to do anymore and money is tight so I don't know if I can take her to the vet.

Please help me. I don't want her to die.

-Justin

EDIT:
She has a 30 gallon tank
She is a juvenile at 8 inches long.
She has 100W ZooMed basking light.
She has a 13W compact 10.0 UVB light.
She has ReptiSand substrate
Her basking area varies between 95 and 102 degress F and the cool side is between 80 and 85 degrees F
She still has stress marks on her belly.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Hey Justin,

The uvb is not good we recommend here is the Reptisun 10.0 tube or Arcadia tube.

Compacts and coils hurt their eyes and other health problems like lethargy and loss of appetite.

Kami

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's a good sign that she's pooping regularly. That tells me that she's probably not impacted. What kind of worms has she been eating? The lack of appetite could be a few things. If you're seeing any light/gray patches of skin, she could be getting ready for a shed which is known to put them off of food for a while and can cause moodiness. The fact that she's closing her eyes often in the basking spot could indicate that the coil UVB light is bothering her because they have a narrow and very intense output which can cause issues with eyesight and proper exposure levels. I would turn the UVB light off for now and try to provide some natural sunlight outside if the weather permits. If that perks her up, then I'd replace the UVB light with a tube style in a reflective fixture which will give a much more even and widespread distribution of UVB in the enclosure.

SDragon

Juvie Member
Is that an analogue one? I'd be worried about how accurate it is if it's not digital, how do you use it to measure the basking spot?

Have you changed the bulb and sand? Also when you say worms, what type do you mean? How is the lizard today?

pokemonfan02

Original Poster
SDragon":1zbklg32 said:
Is that an analogue one? I'd be worried about how accurate it is if it's not digital, how do you use it to measure the basking spot?

Have you changed the bulb and sand? Also when you say worms, what type do you mean? How is the lizard today?

I used waxwormas and superworms but I got a more accurate thermometer and it was only 80 degrees so I'm working on heating the tank up.

SDragon

Juvie Member
That makes sense that her appetite would be effected by such low temps if her basking spot was only 80, what are you using to measure now?

How big is she? If she is small the diet isn't suitable.

Have you been able to replace the bulb and substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom