Beardie Not Eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParkerandMe

Hatchling Member
Okay, so I've had Norbert for almost a week and a half now and at most he's eaten 2 crickets and possibly a dubia. He is incredibly healthy, pooping regularly, quite alert, and showing no signs of his hunger strike except for the fact that he is a little bit thin. His poop has brown stuff in it once a day and when we brought him to the awesome pet store we got him from they said that he was eating because he was really healthy and defecating and all that. They also gave him some liquid calcium as a precaution, but I don't know what type or anything. I just try to dust which would be fine except for the fact that he is not eating his bugs. The temps are perfect (106 in basking, 80 on cool side, infrared temp gun) and he drinks everyday. I've tried everything, waving crickets and dubia in front of him, putting him in a cardboard box with them (he just went crazy running around and bumping into walls :roll: ), even smearing dubia guts on his mouth. He just refuses to eat. I count all the bugs I put in (I've tried waxworms, phoenix worms, dubias, and crickets) and they all remain untouched. I'm sure he ate a cricket once but besides that I am at loss. I also put in mustard greens, collard greens, and butternut squash. I am going to try baby food soon. Please help me! I love my little guy but I don't know what to do!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He may still be going through some relocation stress which can be normal for about 2 weeks or slightly longer. Where does he spend most of his time while in his tank? When you check the temps with the temp gun, how far away are you holding the gun?

The hammocks aren't really a good heat conductor and since beardies love to sit at an incline while basking, it would be a good idea to get him a log which you could put near the hammock.

Since he is a little thin, it would be a good idea to pick up some chicken or turkey and squash or sweet potato baby food. To help with his protein intake, use a larger amount of the meat with a smaller amount of the vegetable. You can even add a small pinch of calcium to it too. Put drops on his nose for him to lick off. It might take a few minutes for him to get the idea but once he gets a taste of it, he should really like it & will help give him a boost. Each time before feeding the baby food, offer live feeders though to see if he will eat those.

Let us know how it goes and good luck. He is adorable.

ParkerandMe

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks! He basks most of the day but climbs around his log occasionally. He has taken to ignoring the cool part though, and usually just ignores his hut and sleeps wherever he feels like. I am going to try and get a taller log but for now he just uses his hammock. I didn't know about the incline thing but that makes sense because part of the hammock slopes and that is where he usually is. I hold the temp gun about 2" away from whatever spot I'm measuring. I'm off to get some baby food, thanks for your advice!

ParkerandMe

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks so much! I got some sweet potato and winter squash baby food at the store (they didn't carry any meat kind) and he gobbled the sweet potato up! I'm so happy right now, thank you!!! :mrgreen: :blob8:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's great that he enjoyed the sweet potato baby food. I can tell you are relieved that you got some food into him. :p Would be a good idea to get some chicken or turkey too to help increase his protein intake as that's VERY important for a young beardie.

Does he seem any perkier since he ate?

The 2" distance that you're holding the temp gun is perfect.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It looks like poop and nice white urates alongside it too. The change in coloring is more than likely from the sweet potato so it doesn't look bad.

How is he acting?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No problem, glad I made you feel better. :) Be sure to get some meat baby food as soon as you can though to help him out even more, ok?

ParkerandMe

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Definitely. The only grocery in walking distance had those but I will head to jewel osco or somewhere tomorrow.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Good. Mix some of the chicken with either a little sweet potato or squash. Let me know how he likes it. You can even add a small pinch of calcium to the mixture.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a nice looking piece of driftwood. Did you ck the temp of the driftwood right where you had him laying in the picture at the 2" distance?

If that temp is good, he'll get the idea and will start sitting on it on his own.

ParkerandMe

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes, the hottest part is about 106, and where he was was probably around 104. I think he was just confused. He was having a stare down with it, it was really funny. :lol:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Anything different in their tanks can really throw them a curve. Bet tomorrow he will be enjoying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom