Beardie not eating enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my beardie is about 4months, 2 weeks ago i bought new medium crickets (between his eyes ofc) and he ate 20 or so of them then he was full, well for the past few days his appetite has dropped, he only ate 2 this morning and yesterday only ate 10 all day. He does seem to be stressed sometimes (not all of the time) but I don't see what I could be doing wrong. I have a reptisun 10, solarglow exoterra lamp, temps 40c (105f) hot side and 29-30 cool, measured with a probe thermometer. He has water and I bathe him once a week, repti-carpet substrate and plenty of food available I just don't know why he's gone off it.

Scales

Pardons if this seems silly, but is he getting ready to shed? Many owners, myself included, see irritability and decreased appetite before/during sheds.

Amy

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there...does he eat any salad/ leafy greens ? Does he have regular b.m.'s, and are they on the dry side or have a water puddle with them ? I might suggest he's possibly a bit dehydrated ....try dripping water on his snout, or use a spray bottle to gently drizzle a small stream on his snout. Sometimes they can take 20 - 30 seconds to realize there's water to drink [ especially if they're not used to it ] but most babies are raised that way .You can also increase his shallow baths to 2-3 X weekly. Another question, is the Reptisun 10.0 a coil or tube ? The coil bulbs may be harmful, causing pain to the eyes which leads to real eye problems and that of course would have an impact on all his activity.

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
You don't need the reptisun and the solar glo. Solar Glo is a Mercury Vapor UVB bulb, not the best one, mind you, but definitely one that is strong enough that having both lights on could cause problems. Definitely get rid of one or the other- if you have to compact UVB, stick with the Solar GLo and just put a regular light bulb in the other socket for brightness, if it is the long tube reptiSUN, I would replace the MVB with a regular flood light.

Mysticsilk

Original Poster
No he does not seem to be getting ready to shed, I will consider what you sad Atlas as that may be the issue. Will try replace bulb with a normal one and see if that helps any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom