Beardie not basking

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, she looks healthy in her body condition and the poos all look fine. One thing I can think of is that some beardies don't want to climb much when they don't feel just right. You might try a log that slopes gradually so she might be more inclined to climb because it will be more of a gentle walk. Something like this [ Just a thought.]

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29856/full

Scarsnare

Original Poster
KarrieRee":27l93qh8 said:
If you look at the nutrition website I posted it will give things to feed what not to feed and how often to feed -- brussel sprouts broccoli is not a good everyday feeder -- I believe you can find rocket there or also known here as arugula -- I have flagged your post to AHBD --- I am still betting its the UVB for reason for not basking --- lets see what AHBD thinks
Karrie

Thanks Karrie!

I see mealworms have a very high P to Ca ratio. I have been feeding my beardie mealworms for a week (about 4 or 5 weeks ago) to make sure she took her antibiotics. Mealworms were the only thing she would eat without a doubt, so it was my only option to make sure the med intake went correct. She wouldn't take syringes. I stopped feeding them after the meds were completed. Could this be a cause of the current problems (for example constipation)? Do they still poop while constipated or do they stop pooping at all? She eats okay, but sometimes her poops are on the small side. I always thought that was because she just digested the food well, because being sick uses more energy (although she didn't bask).

Scarsnare

Original Poster
AHBD":2x7vht6u said:
Hi there, she looks healthy in her body condition and the poos all look fine. One thing I can think of is that some beardies don't want to climb much when they don't feel just right. You might try a log that slopes gradually so she might be more inclined to climb because it will be more of a gentle walk. Something like this [ Just a thought.]

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29856/full

Hi AHBD,

Good to hear that she looks good and that the poop also does. Does the food cause the urate to turn pink or could it also be something like parasites or other health problems? I still think it is weird that she has been like this for 4 weeks without really improving, and has been blackbearding/showing stressmarks for almost a week now.

I will try the slope idea tonight! See if that gives her more motivation to go bask.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Beardies are strange about pooping sometimes they dont poop for a long time like months -- proper basking temps and UVB are going to control that - but they need to bask and if hes/ she is not basking its going to effect the poop thing
Karrie

Scarsnare

Original Poster
Update.

In the morning she seems fine, throughout the day she gets worse and in the evening right before the lights go out she goes full black beard.

I expect one of both (or both) of the following:
- impaction
- dehydration

She didn't eat her greens for 2 days now. She did eat her dola's and grasshoppers greedily. She denies drinking water and doesn't want to take a bath.

She drops loose urates throughout her terrarium. They are white tho. There is quite a bit of water coming out too. A little poop was present. The last good poop she took was from the last comment I made on this post.

My questions:
- does the poop in my last comment look like an impaction poop? Because I thought they didn't poop at all when impacted.
- Is it normal to drop loose urates?
- Do they poop out alot of water when dehydrated? Because that doesn't sound logical to me.

I hope I can make some sense out of this with your help. Thanks.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If they are impacted they wont poop -- she is not dehydrated if she is passing white urate along w/ extra water - the greens will give her moisture along w/ well gut loaded insects-- diet and lighting and temp are gonna control the loose urates- is it possible she has parasites that will cause loose urates and if shes not basking that too - basking temps and correct UVB will help them control parasites - they already have a small amount in their intestines but when improper lighting is not correct it will cause them to be out of control -- does her poop smell so bad you want to make you leave the room smell?
Karrie

Scarsnare

Original Poster
KarrieRee":wcwoi6zj said:
If they are impacted they wont poop -- she is not dehydrated if she is passing white urate along w/ extra water - the greens will give her moisture along w/ well gut loaded insects-- diet and lighting and temp are gonna control the loose urates- is it possible she has parasites that will cause loose urates and if shes not basking that too - basking temps and correct UVB will help them control parasites - they already have a small amount in their intestines but when improper lighting is not correct it will cause them to be out of control -- does her poop smell so bad you want to make you leave the room smell?
Karrie

She had a parasite treatment about 5 or 6 weeks ago. She got antibiotics for them. Maybe the treatment didn't work?

Personally I don't think the poop smells awful. Although poop always smells nasty ofcourse.

The problem is I just don't trust the vet anymore and it is the only 'exotic pet vet' near me. Or at least that's what they try to sell. I try to take her to the exotic pet shop today, see what they think because they have a lot of experience with beardies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
She should of been retested-- seems there is a place you can send stool samples off to get tested but I am not for sure --- I would ask Tracie our vet moderator
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom