Beardie needs to lose weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elaina

Juvie Member
Hi guys. Lola is a little too fluffy. Ok a lot. She was making gasping hissing noises, so we saw the vet. Her weight is messing with her hormones. She went into hormones and after that it started. Her egg follicles are not being absorbed and they are large, pushing on her lungs. She is getting fatty liver. She is 620 g. She is the pickiest eater. She loves her worms. No more. worms. Protein and veggies. I would do roaches, but decided with my son's asthma I shouldn't have them around. I finally got her to eat crickets. She WILL NOT eat her veggies! Never. Its so frustrating. If I hand feed her baby food she will eat that. But i dont want t her to get used to that. . When shes out, she finds a comfy place to lay down. How do I exercise her, and generally get the weight down?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You can do some water exercise daily to help with her burning off the excess fat.
Is she just not eating at all right now? Try to encourage her to eat greens, as much as possible. Is she on any type of supplements to help with liver function from the vet?
You can try either Milk Thistle or Serrapeptase to help with liver detoxification purposes. Or the vet could give lactulose to help with expediting fat metabolism for her.

Try to limit her feeders to 30 or less per week, to help reduce the weight safely. Has she already absorbed all of her follicles now?
How long has this been going on?

Tracie

Elaina

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Its been about a month. They sent me home with antibiotics (that she doesn't need- she is not acting at all sick). Told me to follow up in several months to check on the weight loss. So I do not know if the follicles have absorbed.I am surprised that they didn't recommend anything for liver function. But they don't even have much to say about probiotics, and it's a teaching hospital so the vet was a student. She consulted with one if the residents on it all. Can you tell me about the milk thistle, what form, how much, or Serrapeptase? I am limiting her to just about 30 feeders so that's good. She's eating those, seriously do not know how to get her to eat her greens. I have had her go two weeks with nothing but greens and she will just starve. My hygrometer isn't working so I don't know the humidity, but she is Not shedding as easily and I have been doing lots of soaking and spraying.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What type of antibiotics did they send home with you? Have you given her any at all, or not yet?
The Milk thistle as well as the Serrapeptase both come in either powder or liquid form. I have not used the Milk thistle but use the Serrapeptase. The Serrapeptase is a natural silk worm enzyme & the Milk thistle is an herb. Both are very safe for long term use, also. You could try each one separately to see which yielded the best results. Normally, I use the standard 15mg/kg of dosing which has been shown to be safe & a very conservative approach, as well.
If she is not wanting to eat greens, you could try making a greens juice/slurry for her to have several times per week to help with nutrition for her. The 30 is fine per week, so she loses the weight slowly. What we don't want is a large influx of fat being released into her system in which her liver can't handle to make her ill.

Keep us posted on her!
Tracie

Elaina

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you Traci. You have been a huge help to me and the community so many tomes, for so many years.
We are going to start water therapy today.
Can you tell me where you get your products? There are so many variations, I want to use what you know. I feel safety that way.
The vet gave me . I used for two days and she was sick from it. I know how it affects them with appetite etc I and I know when she is sick, and she isn't. If you remember I had a male that came to me very ill and we fought yellow fungus for three years. He was on antibiotics from secondary infections and the antifungals etc..and the side affects are ugly. Her lungs are clear, and they tested the fluid around the follicles and there is no infection. So they gave me the antibiotic as a 'just in case'. She doesn't need it. She is active and happy. So I guess we will start some slurries too. Going to research some veggie options that will help clear her system and boost her metabolism.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Elaina,

How is your girl today? Did the water exercises go well I hope?
I think once she gets in the daily habit of it, she will enjoy her daily swimming. Does she like to run around the house at all or be out of her tank for a decent amount of time?
That is great there was no sign of infection then, right now! So she shouldn't need the antibiotics then.
It sounds like she is doing pretty well, overall so that is a great sign. Taking some weight off slowly is the best thing while keeping her appetite up as much as possible to avoid any nutritional issues.
I do remember the male you had with the yellow fungus for so long. It takes such a toll on them. :cry:

Keep me posted on her!

Tracie

Elaina

Juvie Member
Original Poster
She is doing great! She loves the slurry I made for her. I have never seen her attack Food (not feeders) like she is the slurry. Problem is it Has to come from a spoon from.Mom, but that's hardly a bad problem:) the swimming is going ok, she isn't quite comfortable but she is getting used to it. She loves to be out, but the problem is she will take off and then just find a comfy spot and nap lol.. right now, the Christmas tree is a good incentive though. Ordering the serraptase today.
There is a secondary problem I didn't get into yet. Because of the extra weight her back has become curved. We don't suspect MBD. I feel bad for her though. Anything I could do to help her with that? :blob8: I know a lot will just take time.
Thank you again Tracie, we appreciate your help so much.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great she likes the slurry! She will eventually get used to bathing & swimming daily.
I know what you mean they will get out of the tank only to try to sneak off somewhere to relax, the lazy lizards! LOL
That makes it hard to get her to exercise.
Oh no, a slight curve in her back? I hope it is not calcium related.
Could it possibly be just the extra weight from the egg reabsorption causing a postural imbalance? Can she still fully support herself when walking, climbing, etc?
Keep me posted on her.
Your serrapeptase is going out in the morning for you.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom