Beardie Multi-Tasking: Shedding AND Brumating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDHarder

Original Poster
We have a now coming 6mo old bearded dragon who is either multi-tasking or just trying confuse everyone. He has gone from a voracious eater (out of control, really), to a quite normal eater now to a scant if at all eater (he last ate a roach 2 days ago, haven't seen him take on any greens in several days, last fecal was earlier this week. He's 100% shedding (large sections of his belly and legs and face) but also consistently curls up in the same spot in his tank, belly flat down about half way on the heated side and half way on the cool side. He'll bask briefly after a bath, he's awake if you pick him up, but he's for sure a sleepy guy.

It's coming INTO spring, so brumation feels odd (is it?)...but if that's what he wants to do, I don't want to keep offering food and pestering him. All of the hot/cool areas of the tank check out, full UVB 10 bulb and he's right under that when he sacks out, and lights are timed now for about 12 on/12 off.

Suggestions? Try withholding food a few days and see what he does? He doesn't have a proper hide (his favorite spot right now is under a stick with his head under a rock)...give him one of those and see what he does? We didn't anticipate him headed this way at this time of year so certainly didn't capture that last fecal nor has he had a recent parasite check. Also a little reluctant to let him get too dormant if he's actively shedding (not sure if those two things are mutually exclusive or not).

Very open to any ideas!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
We have a now coming 6mo old bearded dragon who is either multi-tasking or just trying confuse everyone. He has gone from a voracious eater (out of control, really), to a quite normal eater now to a scant if at all eater (he last ate a roach 2 days ago, haven't seen him take on any greens in several days, last fecal was earlier this week. He's 100% shedding (large sections of his belly and legs and face) but also consistently curls up in the same spot in his tank, belly flat down about half way on the heated side and half way on the cool side. He'll bask briefly after a bath, he's awake if you pick him up, but he's for sure a sleepy guy.

It's coming INTO spring, so brumation feels odd (is it?)...but if that's what he wants to do, I don't want to keep offering food and pestering him. All of the hot/cool areas of the tank check out, full UVB 10 bulb and he's right under that when he sacks out, and lights are timed now for about 12 on/12 off.

Suggestions? Try withholding food a few days and see what he does? He doesn't have a proper hide (his favorite spot right now is under a stick with his head under a rock)...give him one of those and see what he does? We didn't anticipate him headed this way at this time of year so certainly didn't capture that last fecal nor has he had a recent parasite check. Also a little reluctant to let him get too dormant if he's actively shedding (not sure if those two things are mutually exclusive or not).

Very open to any ideas!
Is the uvb a coil or long tube

CDHarder

Original Poster
Long Reptisun 10.0 UVB tube along the back and then a coiled heat light + a non-light heat lamp up front on the hot side. Both bulbs less than 3mo used.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Long Reptisun 10.0 UVB tube along the back and then a coiled heat light + a non-light heat lamp up front on the hot side. Both bulbs less than 3mo used.
I recommend changing your coil basking bulb to a solid clear bright white basking bulb - your dragon needs UVA and I don't think coils give off uva- examples are Exo Terra intense basking bulb-- or a Zoo Med repti basking but any clear bright white bulb will work+ the uvb is in your tank or top of screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom