beardie measurements w/o tail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. So it turns out our BD, Papi, really is somewhere between 6-12 months old. I thought he was more like 8 wks based on measurements, but he has a stub tail and I didn't realize exactly how MUCH tail was missing. Then I saw an 8 wk old baby. That is NOT my dragon! He's huge comparatively! Just has a short tail. My guess is he's missing about 5 inches of tail!

So... How do I know when he's big enough for superworms, etc? Would a few of you be willing to measure their dragon from back of hind legs to nose, then tail length so I can compare and create a rough ratio?? He's definitely still very young, but I would like an idea of how many inches he might be if he had his full tail!

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Sorry, I might not be much help as I don't know exactly how old Budo is... but he is over a year and a half, for sure. Also, his previous keepers did not take proper care of him; he recently recovered from MBD and is still recovering from pinworms and coccidia. So, I'm guessing he's pretty small for his age, too. :(

Anyways, his SVL (snout-vent length) is 7 inches. His tail is 10 inches long.

Missing parts of the tail, toes, and/or even limbs is common in beardies that were housed with siblings, as most are.

Reven1337

I would love to see a scale of where they should be length wise from snout to vent. A lot of us have dragons with nips and its tough to tell if they are on track. Example, my 5 month old male is exactly 12" now, but he has a nip, im not sure how bad of a nip it is at this point. So is he 12" or 14"? is he on the small side or is he large?

/vote for snout to vent scale!

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Go with his snout-to-vent measurement, to avoid confusion. It's hard to tell exactly how much of their tail they are missing.

Reven1337

That's what I'm saying. The point is that people gauge where there dragon is at growth wise on snout to tail tip. There is a general guide as to if your dragon is on track based on snout to tip, but not snout to vent.
I am requesting that there be a snout to vent scale posted so that we with nipped dragons can tell where they are at, as appose to trying to guess where they would be at if they had a full tail. See what I'm saying?

tundradragons

Hatchling Member
spike is 8" S-V
cinder is 7.5" S-V

Spike has a small tail nip, and is 16" long snout to tail tip and cinder does not have a tail nip and is 16.25" long snout to tail tip

Spike is 14 months old, cinder is 12 months.

hope that helps.

Charles

momof2boys

Original Poster
this does help. I'm off to measure Papi S-V... Hoping for more data from more Beardie owners, specifically Sara who also has a 6 month old!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom