beardie loves..wax worms. Can I use as a staple ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
MJ's main staple have been crixs & veggies. I tried some meal worms but I dont feel comfortable even gving mealies to MJ as treats. So Recently I bought some wax worms from Petsmart.. and MJ LOVES IT !!! I've never seen her this interested in any live feeders.. with crickets or meal worms. I know theres not alot of nutritional value in waxies... but at this moment.. I've had enough with crickets. lol. I think MJ's not a baby anymore, so do you think I can use waxies as a staple instead of crickets ? Offcourse crix will always be available to her but I feel safer leaving wax worms in her viv when I go to work. (I go to work at 3 am.. before lights on in viv). And plus like I said.. I've never seen her love anything as much as she loves waxies ! Usually when I prepare her crix (dusting).. she'll just stay in one spot in the viv until I throw some in there. But lately... the moment she sees me coming from the kitchen with the blue container of worms... she jumps off her basking spot and literally tries to eat my hand through the glass !!! lol.

So any advise is appreciated =)

SARBEAR

Sub-Adult Member
How old is MJ?
I'm pretty sure wax worms are not a good choice for her staple..
I'm sure silk worms would be a better choice.
I could be wrong, let's wait for another reply :)

http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html
I'm sure you've seen this site before, if not, there you go :)
The silkies are green, so I'm assuming you can use that as your staple with no problems??

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Im not sure her exact age.. but from the beardeddragon chart, I think she's about 11 or 12 weeks. Yea Im not sure about wax worms either.. and I know meal worms aren't good as it can cause impaction ... =(

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Nope, sorry. Waxies are dragon candy bars, basically. High in fat & sugar and nothing else. Your dragon CAN get very sick (fatty liver disease) if you feed them too frequently. Frankly, until 1 year, crickets or roaches are really the only cost effective feeder. Other soft worms (butters, phoenix, silkworms) are just fine, but the $$$ adds up really fast.

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ok so Waxies are great for treatsonly but not too grequent. I'm pretty much just trying to find other alternative besides crickets. You said Butter, phoneix or silkworms can be used as a staple just fine fine ??

btt

Yep wax worms are junk food and of course we all love junk food.Stick with the crickets and greens for better nutrition.Nice pic. Watch out he's gonna get big quick

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanx BTT !! Yeah she loves junk food alright.. just like her mommy !!!! No wonder.

I cant do crickets. I hate crickets with a passion. I cant deal with it anymore... I'm on my way to post a thread on how much I hate crickets at the moment.....

SARBEAR

Sub-Adult Member
lol you just need to get a cat.
I drop crix in my room all the time, and my cat will catch them within minutes.
:)
Although I lose money when he kills them, at least they aren't running around my room!
Eww!!

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ok I'll just vent here on my crickets frustration.

Since the beginning I've always had problems with crixs. They would die within 2-3 days I'd bougth them.. so that was my very first frustration. I've got that problem squared away so I thought everything was all good.

THEN... as MJ is getting bigger ... I started to get medium crix.. and they started to chirp. OK no problem I could deal with the chirping. A few nights later.. I started hearing chirps in the bathroom... kitchen... living room.... and i couldnt find where the noise were coming from.

THEN... I figured maybe I should put them outside (patio). It worked for a few days... until one day I came home there were gnats and fruit flies all over it. I was disgusted so I threw the whole thing away... I didnt even wanna take it in the house to wash it.. there were too many. I tried to save the crix but I think I saw little maggots. It was disgusting so I threw everything in the dumpster. I mean we're talking $10 worht of crix still left ! I mean 10 bucks is 10 bucks lol !

SO yeah. I had to vent. Now im stressed because tomorrow I gotta go to petsmart.. get the crickets enclosure and buy more crickets.

aarrrrghhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :twisted: :twisted:

SARBEAR

Sub-Adult Member
lol, I feel your pain.
What I'm using to keep the crix in right now is a $13 like 2 gal? I think? It's a fish tank but I like it cause there's no way for the crix to get out. I often had the problem of the small ones getting out of the cricket keepers. The 2 gal even has a lid with it, I like it a whole lot better :)

Again, a cat would fix the problem of having them all over your house, hahaha.

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Where are you getting crickets? Most places won't send you the kind that chirp... I'm getting 5/8ths ones from Ghann's, and they never chirp, and since I'm down to buying once a month, I'm getting some BIG ones in there, I'm guessing I have at least 2 that are a full inch right now.

Doesj

Hatchling Member
start breeding dubia's!

no more tsjirping, no more escaping, no more foul smell, no more buying and they're good for your beardie!

If they're allowed where you live that is...

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
peera":03fab said:
Where are you getting crickets? .

I've gotten mine from LLLReptiles.com. I think I got 500 small ones last time and it was wayy to much and I think only about 300 were eaten as the rest died.

Doesj":03fab said:
start breeding dubia's!

no more tsjirping, no more escaping, no more foul smell, no more buying and they're good for your beardie!

If they're allowed where you live that is...

I've sent a message to the ROACHGUY on here.. i think Im gonna PM him now. I just dont think I can deal with roaches but I gotta get over my fears !! When i first got crixs I was terrified lol. Then when I upgraded to worms.. I was freaked out !! Im over it now so hopefully I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom