beardie lost weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

junipiner

My beardie is about 15 months old and has recently been turning his nose up to live feeders. He will eat one or 2 superworms or maybe 10 crickets and then loses interest. He gets a large salad every morning of 3 different types of greens and various veggies that he does eat off of throughout the day but never finishes it. I weighed him probably about 2 weeks ago and at 20.5 inches in length he weighed 477 grams. I weighed him today and he is down to 458 grams. He looks skinny and iam concerned. I know that they tend to eat less in winter months. He is still very active. Im just not sure whats causing the sudden weight loss? Any suggestions?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looked pretty healthy in the last photos you posted. The weight loss is concerning though. That usually indicates a problem of some kind. I would first try offering a wider variety of feeders, although I realize this is more difficult in the winter months. Have you tried offering anything other than crickets and superworms? Maybe some silkworms, or phoenix worms? You could also try an order of dubia roaches and see if he likes to chase after those at all. If that doesn't help bring his appetite up and stabilize his weight, I'd bring him to an experienced reptile/exotics vet if you have one in the area. A thorough exam may shed light on or rule out any possible issues. I would bring a fresh fecal sample along if you can to have it tested for parasitic infections as well.

junipiner

Original Poster
Well i weighed him again this morning and he wss up to 465 grams. He may have weighed so little last night because of a bowel movement. He ate about 6 wax worms this morning and some veggies as well as about 20 crickets this afternoon. He still has a healthy appetite and is very active. Maybe the upturned nose to the worms is just boredom with his food. I plan on ordering some dubia roaches very soon and i am going to deep clean his tank tomorrow. I will keep an eye on him and weigh him frequently to see if his weight goes back up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom