Beardie losing too much weight

peatrie109

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Peatrie
I’m very concerned about my bearded dragons (Peatrie) weight. A couple weeks ago I noticed he looked smaller and his skin was sunken in/bones sticking out so I took him to the vet. The vet said it was impaction so they gave him fluids and told me to give him baths everyday so he would poop. He also didn’t have an appetite which the vet said was because of him being constipated.

Since then he has pooped so many times and also has drank a bunch of water. He still has zero appetite. He used to get so excited when I fed him bugs. Now I have to force feed him by opening his mouth and putting the dubia roaches in. He will chew it if I put it in his mouth, but he chews so slowly like he doesn’t want to eat it at all. I’ve also given him pumpkin.

I’ve wondered if it’s brumation because I live in PA and it’s getting cold, but he’s never gone into brumation before and he’s 6 years old. He is bright and is still moving around, he poops and drinks water, he just isn’t eating. I’ve found him in the cool side a couple times, but he’s not hiding. He also is basking.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be/have suggestions to help? I left a voicemail for my vet to get him in again.

Attachments

• IMG_5554.jpeg
    IMG_5554.jpeg
    280.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5556.jpeg
    IMG_5556.jpeg
    241.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_5557.jpeg
    IMG_5557.jpeg
    266.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5558.jpeg
    IMG_5558.jpeg
    236.7 KB · Views: 52

peatrie109

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Peatrie
I am going through the almost exact same thing right now with my Flare. Sadly looking at your pictures, they look like they could be the same dragon. The vet game me a powder called Critical Care Omnivore and a curved syringe so that I could get some food into her. I mixed up a half a TBSP with equal water and slowly fed it to her and she was able to keep it all down. My vet had this in the office, im not sure if you have a vet or something that is close and open today but you may want to call around and see if they have it. Other than that you can get it online but it isnt going to get to you until Monday or Tuesday.
Ugh I’m so sorry that you’re also going through this. Earlier today I did order that stuff on Amazon and it’ll be here tomorrow. I fed him some pumpkin a little bit again and he ate some of it. My fear is that he won’t make it until the vet appointment on Monday.

peatrie109

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Peatrie
an enema, NO ENEMAS!!!!!!!!!!! It can do more harm than good -- I recommend the Critical Care Herbivore as mentioned above - see if the vets office has it or you can get it on line from Amazon
Well thank god I didn’t take him back to get one!

peatrie109

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Peatrie
I’m very concerned about my bearded dragons (Peatrie) weight. A couple weeks ago I noticed he looked smaller and his skin was sunken in/bones sticking out so I took him to the vet. The vet said it was impaction so they gave him fluids and told me to give him baths everyday so he would poop. He also didn’t have an appetite which the vet said was because of him being constipated.

Since then he has pooped so many times and also has drank a bunch of water. He still has zero appetite. He used to get so excited when I fed him bugs. Now I have to force feed him by opening his mouth and putting the dubia roaches in. He will chew it if I put it in his mouth, but he chews so slowly like he doesn’t want to eat it at all. I’ve also given him pumpkin.

I’ve wondered if it’s brumation because I live in PA and it’s getting cold, but he’s never gone into brumation before and he’s 6 years old. He is bright and is still moving around, he poops and drinks water, he just isn’t eating. I’ve found him in the cool side a couple times, but he’s not hiding. He also is basking.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be/have suggestions to help? I left a voicemail for my vet to get him in again.
I took Peatrie to the vet this morning and they did an X-ray. Unfortunately they found a mass on his stomach and he’s being put down right now. There wasn’t anything I could’ve done to prevent this so that at least makes me feel a little better. Thank you to everyone who responded and tried to help me. He was so special to me and I will miss him very much.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I took Peatrie to the vet this morning and they did an X-ray. Unfortunately they found a mass on his stomach and he’s being put down right now. There wasn’t anything I could’ve done to prevent this so that at least makes me feel a little better. Thank you to everyone who responded and tried to help me. He was so special to me and I will miss him very much.
Wow I am so sorry --- what kind of mass did they say?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw I'm so sorry that this terrible disease took your baby. That's what I thought it was from your description in the beginning. As far as I know and what's written about it there's no cure. Sending my condolences on the loss of your little friend, I know your heart is broken. :(

peatrie109

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Peatrie
Aw I'm so sorry that this terrible disease took your baby. That's what I thought it was from your description in the beginning. As far as I know and what's written about it there's no cure. Sending my condolences on the loss of your little friend, I know your heart is broken. :(

Thank you so much. My heart is definitely broken. Coming home and seeing his empty tank is just devastating. I’m just glad he’s not in pain anymore.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom