Beardie lacks appetite, small poops, hyperactivity with black beard

Acaciasdad

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Acacia
Acacia, a 1-1/2-year-old male, resides in a 4x2x2 tank with a basking temperature of 102°F and a cool side temperature of 78°F. The UVB light (Zoomed T5 HO) was replaced three weeks ago as Acacia's back legs occasionally twitched. One foot has a fully missing nail (which I thought may have been the problem) has no signs of infection. Recently transitioned to a new tank (old one was 4x1x2). Over the past four weeks, he has shown similar behavior with black beard, and hyperactivity, possibly related to the missing nail. I then suspected constipation, Weight and poop tracked over two weeks on a line graph, indicating a gradual weight decrease, with very small poops, and little oral intake. Despite replacing UVB and administering calcium supplements via syringe (as to rule out MBD), no improvement. Palpated abdomen, sensed a possible lump, but uncertain as the other side felt similar; might have been his kidneys. Given a small amount of olive oil today after palpation made him have a very small bowel movement . No access to exotic vets locally. Seeking additional advice or suggestions. Thank you

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Can you post a picture of Acacia so we can see a general view of his body mass, and of his tank.

Has his fat stores noticeably decreased?

What was his daily diet like prior to the issues you are seeing?

-Brandon

Acaciasdad

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Acacia
Acacia, a 1-1/2-year-old male, resides in a 4x2x2 tank with a basking temperature of 102°F and a cool side temperature of 78°F. The UVB light (Zoomed T5 HO) was replaced three weeks ago as Acacia's back legs occasionally twitched. One foot has a fully missing nail (which I thought may have been the problem) has no signs of infection. Recently transitioned to a new tank (old one was 4x1x2). Over the past four weeks, he has shown similar behavior with black beard, and hyperactivity, possibly related to the missing nail. I then suspected constipation, Weight and poop tracked over two weeks on a line graph, indicating a gradual weight decrease, with very small poops, and little oral intake. Despite replacing UVB and administering calcium supplements via syringe (as to rule out MBD), no improvement. Palpated abdomen, sensed a possible lump, but uncertain as the other side felt similar; might have been his kidneys. Given a small amount of olive oil today after palpation made him have a very small bowel movement . No access to exotic vets locally. Seeking additional advice or suggestions. Thank you
Hi there,

Can you post a picture of Acacia so we can see a general view of his body mass, and of his tank.

Has his fat stores noticeably decreased?

What was his daily diet like prior to the issues you are seeing?

-Brandon

I haven’t noticed any fat stores deteriorating, I’ll start a photographic chart of it though. His diet consists of super worms, I was trying to wean him off of those in substitute for more greens, but anything at this point would satisfy me (about one worm every 2 days for his oral intake) I’ve also recently been trying bee pollen, but no interest there. He was missing one nail as a hatchling and its healed over, I’d also like to mention about 2 months ago is when he passed his sperm plugs, confirming he was a boy. I’ve also tried covering one side of the cage to eliminate reflection from both sides, that was about a day ago ( I don’t believe this is the problem as this has been happening before the new tank, just eliminating variables) his current weight is 557 grams

Attachments

• IMG_4906.jpeg
    IMG_4906.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4904.jpeg
    IMG_4904.jpeg
    487.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4902.jpeg
    IMG_4902.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 34

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Outwardly, he looks healthy. His fat stores at the base of his tail and his head are all doing well still.

It's possible that he is hormonal. That would explain the hyperactivity and beard color. Typically, when a blackbeard is caused by illness or injury, hyperactivity would not be something you'd expect alongside it.

Are you sure they were sperm plugs, and not one or two eggs that got laid and shriveled up? Either way, if there is any doubt as to his sex, feel free to post a picture with his tail bent back towards his back with a picture clearly showing the vent area. Will help us confirm male or female.

Either way, based on what you've mentioned so far, I wouldn't be too concerned. If he's not eating he's not going to be having bowel movements, and he will lose a little weight. If it's hormones, it will pass and he will be a ravenous eater again in no time.

-Brandon

Last edited:

Acaciasdad

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Acacia
Outwardly, he looks healthy. His fat stores at the base of his tail and his head are all doing well still.

It's possible that he is hormonal. That would explain the hyperactivity and beard color. Typically, when a blackbeard is caused by illness or injury, hyperactivity would not be something you'd expect alongside it.

Are you sure they were sperm plugs, and not one or two eggs that got laid and shriveled up? Either way, if there is any doubt as to his sex, feel free to post a picture with his tail bent back towards his back with a picture clearly showing the vent area. Will help us confirm male or female.

Either way, based on what you've mentioned so far, I wouldn't be too concerned. If he's not eating he's not going to be having bowel movements, and he will lose a little weight. If it's hormones, it will pass and he will be a ravenous eater again in no time.

-Brandon
Sounds good. At what point should I have concerns about my beardies health? Also the sperm plugs looked like this I’m positive that I have a boy on my hands. Pardon the phallic shape, but it is quite literally from the hemipene 😂😂

Attachments

• IMG_4907.jpeg
    IMG_4907.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 21

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
At what point should I have concerns about my beardies health?
If he starts becoming lethargic. Healthy beardies can easily go multiple days without eating anything without any ill effects. It's very common in the wild world that when the hormones kick in, everything else takes a back seat - that includes eating

Keep offering him food, he will likely only eat a bit if his mind is too preoccupied, but this is ok. As long as he has food available to him, he won't let himself starve.

-Brandon

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom