Beardie is sick - NEED ADVICE - Went from bad to worse quick

Status
Not open for further replies.
I havent had this beardie for long...he belonged to a friend who couldnt quite take care of it.

On thursday his poop was really mucusy and runny and overall very odd. On saturday his nose startted running and today he is covered in stressmarks , nose running and ive noticed a similar mucus from the mouth as well - He is hardly responsive and wont eat or drink. None of the vets near me are open untill tomorrow at around 8am.

Is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable ? and Should I call an animal hospital ?

thanks for any help.

edit - I am taking him to the vet tomorrow 100% . I'm just worried if he'll make it through the night. Ive had him for a couple of months and I've had his brother for about 6 years and hes NEVER gotten sick. Dealing with the sickness is new to me

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It sounds like a respiratory infection. Keep the cage a little warmer, but still keep a heat gradient....105 hot side, 82 cool side, and keep him warmer at night, around 82 F. If you can get him to a vet that knows reptiles, they can assess his situation and prescribe antibiotics. Give water with an eyedropper or a needleless syringe. Avoid bathing, this can chill him and also he may aspirate water into his lungs and do more damage. I hope he will get through this, and you, too !

littledigits

Original Poster
There are 2 vets that take care of reptiles not far from me , im doing it first thing tomorrow morning. Its just tough seeing him in so much discomfort but I'll recheck the temp - he seems to keep crawling into his little house and avoiding the heatlamp but maybe its warmer in there then I think. Thanks for the bath info...I thought a warm bath may help actually ( incase his bowls were impatcted ) but that makes sense. I'll keep him warm tonight to keep him comfortable. Thanks so much !

Its really scaring me so far..I've never seen him like this so I hope he can hang on untill tomorrow. Hes been making such good progress so far ( building up muscle and strength from when I first got him )

littledigits

Original Poster
Also - whats the best way to transport a bearded dragon to a vet ? Im just taking a cab but I'm wondering if I should just hold him against my chest to keep him warm or....Idk...a waterbottle and towels but I figure thats not the best way since they cant regulate their stomachs.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If you don't have a small heat pack, you can use a sock with rice heated in the microwave, but it only lasts for a short while. You can just take him in a box without a heat source, and if it's chilly in the cab or at the vets office you can hold him under your shirt.

littledigits

Original Poster
Awesome , thanks so much ! will do - its a short cab ride anyway so ill cover all the bases. I've made sure hes toasty now and will keep the temp around 83 when its sleeptime..although hes probably sleeping now and saving his energy. Thank you for all the advice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom