Beardie is having problems please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KahliLizard

Hatchling Member
Hi, my beardie, Kahli, was in brumation. I woke him up for a snuggle, I think I deserved it, he has been asleep for weeks, without waking up, and it is Christmas. So I woke him up, and we were snuggling. He was all right. running around, bright eyes, mouth closed, everything seemed all right. but then he opened his mouth, and started making choking sounds as if he were about to throw up. Nothing came up. He settled back down, and everything was okay again. About 3 minutes later he did it again. I took him upstairs, and put him in his cage. He stood there looking around for a while, and then about 5 minutes later, he did it again. he didn't move for a while, but then he climbed over to his basking spot. He hasn't done it again that I have noticed. I'm considering taking him to the veterinarian, but since it's Christmas I don't know if any of the offices will be open that specialize in reptiles. Should I call and set up an appointment for tomorrow? I don't know what it is. Can anyone help me? I'm really worried.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there.....even though you missed your buddy,it's always best to let them sleep when they're in a true brumation, waking them really messes with their body's natural rhythms. Did you by chance give him a drink ? One thing comes to mind, you say that he was running around. Was he on the floor and did you see him every minute of the time ? He may have quickly grabbed something off the floor, there was at least one post where a beardie [ years ago ] I believe ate tinsel. You might just watch how he does for the rest of the day.....you might find en emergency vet if he seems really distressed but it will cost you a load of money. Hopefully he'll be fine, but if he continues to cough, try to see if you can get a look in his mouth.

KahliLizard

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thank you. He wasn't truly sleeping. he was getting in a new position and looking at me with wide eyes. So he was awake, but I probably should have just left him be. I was watching him the entire time, I always watch him real closely when he is out and about. Thank you for your reply. He hasn't done it again, but thank you so much. I'm going to see if I can set up an appointment for him when they are open if he does it again.

KahliLizard

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
and no, he did not drink anything. How much do you usually pay for a veterinarian visit for your beardie?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The vet fees widely vary but can be $40 or more for just an office visit but that doesn't include any lab work.
Poor guy, perhaps he just got upset being out, not sure. If he didn't ingest anything or have any fluids go down the wrong way he should be fine.
I hope he is sleeping well tonight. Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

KahliLizard

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
he went back to bed last night, and woke up this morning, and watched me for a long time. After a while he tried to dig up his carpet type stuff where he is sleeping, and cuddled himself back up, and went to sleep. He has slept nice and well. Thank you all for your help. If he does it again, I will post something about it.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is fantastic, I am sure he will sleep for awhile. I am happy to hear that he did sleep well again.
It sounds like he will be just fine, after curling up to sleep.
Let us know how he is doing, your sleeping beauty. :love5:

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom