Beardie is aggresive?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my beardie for about 2 months now. I've posted quite a bit about him. He eats like a horse now and is shedding and growing repetitively. When I first had him, he could care less that I picked him up and handled him, fed him, whatever. Well a week after that he has been nipping, running, taking stances at me. Honestly I thought he will adjust, but after 2 months I'm starting to get a little pissed haha.. I don't sqeeze him or even try to irritate him at all. I pick him up sometimes he doesn't even care, other times he will corner himself and try to bit me. I do not over head grab, I offer my hand, and he still goes for a bit. I got him as my first reptile, I have 3 now. He is the only one that gives me issues. He runs, bits, and seems to get stressed wayyyy easier then most beardies I handle. He is fed right, temp in cage is right, has water and fresh veggies everyday. I'm just confused. I got a Beardie first because I was told its an easy start :p hell my ball Python was in her cage for less then a day and she let me handle her and when I am playing computer games sometimes she just chills on my shoulders. How can I get more trust and bonding with my beardie ? Really want him with him before he gets bigger and it becomes worse.

coffeesnob

now my reply is not beardie based at all because i am not an expert but i thought i would reply with what i hope are some helpfull hints.

i have a pair of dragons pebbles and Bambam. their bodies are the size of an egg which makes them about 4 months old.Pebbles is great and loves to get the warmth from my hand but Bambam is picky - if his belly is full and he has been basking for a bit he will agree to be handled but other wise he just runs from me

i always approach my animals from beneath them and stroke their chins before i pick them up. stroking their chin means they are distracted by the touch and do not see/notice my other hand so much. - birds of prey would swoop down in the wild so coming from above just makes them nervous and jumpy.

most animals are food orientated so i would use food to train my dragon. find something they really like and when they hungry hand feed feed it. save that food for hand feeding only- increase your contact over time until they can only have that food when you are holding them. i would would use something like blueberry or dandelion.

i have started taking my animals out side - they notice when i get out the cage i use to take them in the garden and are much more co-operative because of the reward they get.

i hope you get some more responses to this from more experienced owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom