Beardie injury

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have posted this before and never really got any answers. My beardie looks like he has a cut on his toe. It has been there for quite some time now at least 3 months or more. It seems to heal a bit then get opened up again. I'm not sure what to do. It is hard at the moment like a scab. It is hard to see in the pictures. It is darker and a bit larger than it appears in the pictures

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
It looks like maybe a hair or something got wrapped around it, have you checked to make sure there is nothing like that there? Maybe just keep antibiotic ointment on it while it heals so it doesn't dry out and crack back open again

thegame345

Original Poster
Yes I have. I have cleaned it numerous times with a toothbrush very gently. When applying antibacterial should i just apply it directly? Or is there someway to make a tiny bandaid or anything

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's odd that it has lasted so long. If it appears to be healing and then re-opening that may be due to it being right along an area that is flexed while walking (think stubborn knuckle paper cut). You can probably put together some kind of bandage but that may get in the way more than be helpful. I suggest using an antibacterial ointment such as unpasteurized honey to keep the wound protected and aid in healing although the stickiness may cause other issues depending on how much he walks around.

thegame345

Original Poster
He does move around a lot. Which i think is part of the problem. Would polysporene stay on? I just worry that it would rub off. The area is quite hard like a thick scab. It feels like you could peel ot off if you tried hard enough (obvobviously i won't).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Polysporin should be fine as far as I know. It would likely need to be re-applied often if he moves around a lot. If the wound is scabbing, then it's healing so that's a good sign. I'm not really sure about an answer for preventing it from re-opening other than trying to limit his movement somehow for a while.

thegame345

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. I will tryputting it on a couple times a day but especially before bed time sp it stays on the longest. Hopefully this helps

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Perhaps the moisture from the ointment will keep the scab a bit more flexible and allow it to heal properly without flaking off too early. That's just a guess but makes some sense to me.

thegame345

Original Poster
Good news. He started shedding and the skin around the cut fell off and underneath it looks completely healed. I picked it up and it was a very thick scab.

His feet are a little dirty but on the toe to the left you can see the pink area where the cut was

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks MUCH better. It doesn't look like the tip of the toe is damaged either so the whole thing may heal completely this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom