Beardie hiding under rock

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnaC109

Original Poster
I’m just confused bc I’m hearing different things from different people and sources. This is my first bearded dragon and I just want to do what is best for him. If this is brumation would it explain why he looks tired? I’ve noticed the past few days he doesn’t seem as alert. Even when he has been basking he has his eyes closed more than often. When I take him out he runs to the corner or goes under something and tries to sleep. I know nothing is wrong with his health bc I had a stool sample checked and it was clear and he is healthy. I’m just not sure what to do if it is brumation

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Juveniles around that age can burmate, and your always supposed to leave the uvb light and heat on during burmation. If you didnt he'd develop MBD without the uvb, and then if he decided he wanted to bask he wouldn't be able to.

Just get a larger hide so he doesnt have to cramp himself in to sleep in that rock one, put it on the cool or the middle end of his tank and let him do his own thing. Offer veggies every or every other day still but go easy on insects if he'll eat them. And of course check on him every day or so but dont disturb him and maybe once a week take him out for a bath depending on if hes deep in sleep or somewhat awake. My male bearded dragon is currently burmating as well, he slept in his hide for a week, came out for today and basked and had some veggies and tomorrow he'll probably go back in his hide. Which he usually has his nose out or something so he still gets uvb.

He was eating crickets while he was burmating (every other day) but tonight he's decided he doesnt want anything to do with bugs so just i just let him do his own thing.

Technically burmation isnt needed in captivity if your not breeding but they still do it anyway depending on the dragon.

AnnaC109

Original Poster
VenusAndSaturn":2kzdkwa1 said:
Juveniles around that age can burmate, and your always supposed to leave the uvb light and heat on during burmation. If you didnt he'd develop MBD without the uvb, and then if he decided he wanted to bask he wouldn't be able to.

Just get a larger hide so he doesnt have to cramp himself in to sleep in that rock one, put it on the cool or the middle end of his tank and let him do his own thing. Offer veggies every or every other day still but go easy on insects if he'll eat them. And of course check on him every day or so but dont disturb him and maybe once a week take him out for a bath depending on if hes deep in sleep or somewhat awake. My male bearded dragon is currently burmating as well, he slept in his hide for a week, came out for today and basked and had some veggies and tomorrow he'll probably go back in his hide. Which he usually has his nose out or something so he still gets uvb.

He was eating crickets while he was burmating (every other day) but tonight he's decided he doesnt want anything to do with bugs so just i just let him do his own thing.

Technically burmation isnt needed in captivity if your not breeding but they still do it anyway depending on the dragon.

Okay, thank you. I do have another hide that’s much larger but maybe he doesn’t like it or something. I’ll get another one. I was wondering how he would get ubv if he’s under a rock.. but if his head is out he will still get it? What if his whole body is under the rock? Also, I feel him dubia roaches and I normally take him out to feed him so the bugs don’t hide. How should I offer him any if he wants any if he is brumating?

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Just hold them in front of him, thats how i feed all my beardies.
As for the uvb light during burmation usually, now i dont have a uvb meter to test this with but the uvb is most likely at low levels inside the front portion of the hide at least. Plus during burmation for them in Australia the sun never just suddenly disappears except at night.
But yes if his head is out he'll get the uvb still and if hes underneath the rock he'll probably have lower levels of uvb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinny2010b
Top Bottom