Beardie hiding all day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preezy

Hey guys, so about 2 months ago i posted on here about my beardie all of a sudden hiding in his cave all week. It was not normal behavior so i took him to the vet and found out that i was OVER-feeding him..(the feed him as much as you can in 10 mins..yeah..thats pretty dangerous as i found out later..). He was put on laxatives as he was slightly impacted. The crickets i was feeding him were as big as the space between his eyes. Thing is hes always been a huggee eater ever since i got him, so he'll eat until he explodes basically. So after a couple of weeks on laxatives he finally pooped and he was back to normal..active and basking. Fast forward to 2 months later today...hes doing it again. Problem is i have NOT been feeding him as much as i was before, but hes once again not pooping on his own. I have to give him a bath in order for him to poop. Hes also hiding in his cave all day again and not basking at all. However, he is STILL a huge eater. Stress marks and all, he'll still eat any bug i put out for him. Hes also started eating his salad. But what im worries about is him hiding all the damn time. This started once he started to shed (he is still shedding). Could this be it? is the shedding just stressing him out? I really don't want to pay another visit to the vet for something so minor..(last trip cost me $300..). I still have the laxative but don't know if i should start giving it to him again. What do you guys think? Hes housed in a 40 gal tank with shelf liner as substrate, reptisun 10.0 uvb bulb and temperatures are kept between 90 - 110. Hes about 5 months old (i think..) and 17 inches long from head to tail. I recently started feeding him small superworms as well this month since im thinking of switching to those instead of crickets. Also, as we speak i took him out, hes sitting on my chest and seems to be sleepy..hes yawning and trying to squeeze in my neck and doing the "wiggle" as if he just wants to sleep...its only 3pm so this worries me. Hes on a light cycle..9am lights on 9pm lights off.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....I don't think he needs a vet visit, and probably didn't the first time either. First off, is 90 the lowest temp. in the tank ? If so, adjust it down ASAP to between 75-80 on the cool side. The hot side at 105 rather than 110. He is most likely hiding because he's too hot.

For helping him to poo, use natural laxatived....unsweetened applesauce, baby food prunes or squash, canned pumpkin and 1/4 teaspoon of veg. oil and or raw honey. Then a few hours later give an extra warm bath that's a bit deeper than usual. He WILL go, just be patient, don't go back to the vet for a little constipation. Offer water via syringe if he'll drink it, he's prob. not hydrated enough. You can even offer some iceburg lettuce , blueberries + strawberries once in a while to also help him poo. Make those changes + try those poo inducers and he should be fine. :)

Preezy

Original Poster
The entire tank is not kept at a 90 - 110 temperature, only his basking area, of course theres a gradient, cool side is below 85 degrees so i dont think its a temperature problem. Before he was basking just fine, this behavior just started again recently. Also i give him warm baths every day in order for him to poop, which he always does..but i want him to start pooping on his own again. How would i administer the applesauce stuff to him? When it comes to foods that are not bugs...usually he only eats the greens..he'll never touch the fruits and veggies i put out for him. I'd give him a mix sometimes of collard greens, turnip greens and red peppers and squash for example..he'll eat around the peppers and squash (very picky eater with his salads..).

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, it's best to be clear about those temps.when giving your details, otherwise it looks like that's the gradient. But just offer the applesauce with a feeding syringe and any combination of those things. Dragons usually lap it up. If he won't eat it [ and they usually will ] then try some iceburg lettuce with his good greens. And the point of the bath is for it to be warmer and deeper than usual....it can stimulate the bowels. The same can happen if you had a hot sunroom or patio for him to run around in.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sorry your beardie is having issues. If he is eating feeders well and not basking, then he isn't able to digest well so he gets bound up. So it's important to get him to bask again.

What type of thermometer are you using, digital strip, round gauge (dial), temperature gun or digital with long wire & probe end?

Also, is the Repti-Sun 10.0 a fluorescent tube? If so, is it a T8 or T5 (high output) bulb? What is the distance of the UVB to him when he's in his basking spot?

How often are you dusting his feeders with calcium & vitamins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom