Beardie hasn't pooped for about 18 days now.. Concerned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaxtor99

Hatchling Member
Rocky our almost full grown but adolescent bearded dragon about 10 months old now has not pooped for over two full weeks now. He is 21" long, and weighs 579 grams. His weight hasn't changed much at all in the past month.

We have tried giving him sweet potato baby food a few times which he does seem to eat a little of and like okay. We have also tried giving him longer and more frequent baths. In addition, we have reduced his live protein in the form of dubia roaches to about half thinking we don't want to risk making his situation worse. He is never fed dubias too large or anything.

He is given fresh vegetables in the form of collard or mustard greens every day, but the past week or 10 days, he seems he doesn't eat any of them at all.

I've also tried gently running his belly for 10 to 15 minutes during his baths which he doesn't seem to mind, but it also hasn't helped him poop.

Giving him a drop or two of olive oil with a dropper orally also hasn't been successful.

He seems normal for the most part, and maybe seems a little lazier sometimes, but most of the time he is just as he has always been, and has even been seeing dancing and frolicking in his cage on several occasions lately.

His lighting is a UV Reptisun 10.0 florescent bulb and his basking bulb is a 75W non-coil clear basking bulb . His basking temperature is usually between 97 and 103 and his cool side is typically 82-86.

Someone suggested that we try giving him a bath in water with epsom salt but I haven't and couldn't find anything here or online about that, so wanted to see what you guys (and ladies) might think about that, as well as maybe get other sources of advice from you.

I don't honestly know how serious this is, but it certainly concerns me after as long as it has been now since we've seen or cleaned any stools from his terrarium (which is a 60 gallon terrarium btw).

Any help would be appreciated!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....that is a long time, and what a big boy he is ! It's fine to cut down his dubia intake a bit, good move. A few suggestions....get some baby food prunes , applesauce and canned pumpkin. Any or all of those with a few drops of veg. oil as well as a few drops of honey should do the trick. Then try a warmer than usual bath, [ no epsom salts ] or take him out in the sun. If he's not used to going outside, the extreme stimulation itself may produce the desired results . :) I think he'll go any day now if you try a few of those tricks.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Lol, that's great....I didn't know that it would have such quick results ! Glad to hear it, and I'm sure Rocky does feel better. He's pretty chunky and may still have more to go , so I think a second dose in a day or two might get even further results. And by the way, you can experiment with the mixture and canned pumpkin [ with no spices ] or baby food squash can be used as well. If you find that his poo is a bit dry you can add a little extra water to the mixture for extra hydration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom