Beardie has been acting strange. Is he sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

galaxxzy

My bearded dragon has been acting strange as of the past few weeks. He has only been defecating about once every week (sometimes a little longer), and whenever he does, his stool is tiny and you wouldn’t have thought he was holding it for a whole week. He also hasn’t been eating his worms. What made me worried today, however, is that after relieving himself, there was a stringy bit still hanging out. Is he impacted, or does he have a parasite?

He is also a little lazy and only gets up when he sees his reflection or wants to eat veggies, but apart from everything mentioned previously, he is fine. I would just like to know if this is just a phase, or if he is sick. (Note: he has just turned 1yr old, for reference)

Any replies are appreciated

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What are his basking temps how are you taking them? No stick ons they are inaccurate-- what are you using for a UVB brand and bulb and where in the tank is it? Coil or tube? We need to rule this out for possible cause- they do sometimes take a long time to poo but it could be diet and lighting issues as well-- what kind of worms and are you feeding a staple feeder? Like crickets or dubias or BSFL?
Karrie

galaxxzy

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2iv87gjx said:
What are his basking temps how are you taking them? No stick ons they are inaccurate-- what are you using for a UVB brand and bulb and where in the tank is it? Coil or tube? We need to rule this out for possible cause- they do sometimes take a long time to poo but it could be diet and lighting issues as well-- what kind of worms and are you feeding a staple feeder? Like crickets or dubias or BSFL?
Karrie

Well I’ve got a stick on at the moment but basking temp is about 105 and UVB brand and bulb is a ZooMed 10.0 (tube). He is (was) eating superworms.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your basking temp is off -- you need to get a digital probe thermometer and place on the spot he sits for basking leave 10 minutes and get temp--- the UVB is a T 8 or a T 5? and where is it ? top of screen inside the tank ?
Karrie

galaxxzy

Original Poster
KarrieRee":17n5zw71 said:
Your basking temp is off -- you need to get a digital probe thermometer and place on the spot he sits for basking leave 10 minutes and get temp--- the UVB is a T 8 or a T 5? and where is it ? top of screen inside the tank ?
Karrie
The basking temp wasn’t taken with the stick on. It was taken with a probe which I don’t have anymore. The UVB is on the right side of his tank at the top of the back wall. It is a T8.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
How long was probe temp taken? You really need to get another one for accurate temps- bulbs get weak etc.............. the T 8 is on the inside of tank and does your fixture have a reflector on it?
Karrie

galaxxzy

Original Poster
KarrieRee":5bpvmnsh said:
How long was probe temp taken? You really need to get another one for accurate temps- bulbs get weak etc.............. the T 8 is on the inside of tank and does your fixture have a reflector on it?
Karrie
Probe was in there for about 10 mins like you said. I only got rid of it the other day since it stopped working but the T8 is on the inside. I’ve attached a photo so you can see. I don’t know if the fixture has a reflector. All I know is that its from Home Depot. How do I check?
106018-3125833702.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
no there is no reflector -- it will have a shiny strip behind the tube --- your UVB is basially doing no good - the rays are going every where to him -- in order for it to work you would need to take it and put it directly over him approx 6-8 inches from basking decor --- or you can order a reflector from here you would need to get the reflector for a T 8 bulb and the size of your fixture - then you can leave it where it is but decor piece would need to be 8-10 inches from him - the reflector maximizes the UVB rays making it better UVB --- http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/miscellaneous-accessories/arcadia-flourescent-lamp-reflectors-new-hot/
Karrie

galaxxzy

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2pv03nv6 said:
no there is no reflector -- it will have a shiny strip behind the tube --- your UVB is basially doing no good - the rays are going every where to him -- in order for it to work you would need to take it and put it directly over him approx 6-8 inches from basking decor --- or you can order a reflector from here you would need to get the reflector for a T 8 bulb and the size of your fixture - then you can leave it where it is but decor piece would need to be 8-10 inches from him - the reflector maximizes the UVB rays making it better UVB --- http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/miscellaneous-accessories/arcadia-flourescent-lamp-reflectors-new-hot/
Karrie

So is there nothing wrong with him? The UVB has always been the same and he only stopped pooping regularly about a month and a half ago and he stopped eating worms last week. He still eats. Just not worms.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The lack of uvb will make him not eat-- he cannot absorb the calcium - UVB is a crucial part of their health--- it controls behavior digestion among other things- and too long w/out it will kill him--
Karrie

galaxxzy

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3saqtjfe said:
The lack of uvb will make him not eat-- he cannot absorb the calcium - UVB is a crucial part of their health--- it controls behavior digestion among other things- and too long w/out it will kill him--
Karrie

Yes I know that but he still eats veggies and he has had it in that place for over a year so I’m almost certain he won’t die. Apart from UV problems, is there anything that may be wrong with him? Thank you.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Get your UVB adjusted and he should start eating - we have had 2 dragons this week die from lack of uvb - he will develop mbd w/ out the proper UVB-- dragons are notorious for hiding their illness - they will hide it till they can no longer -- sometimes it's too late
Karrie

galaxxzy

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1whhgdt6 said:
Get your UVB adjusted and he should start eating - we have had 2 dragons this week die from lack of uvb - he will develop mbd w/ out the proper UVB-- dragons are notorious for hiding their illness - they will hide it till they can no longer -- sometimes it's too late
Karrie

I have the UV sorted. He now has a basking spot next to the bulb (it has a reflector as well now), but he still doesn’t seem to want to eat or poop. Do I have to wait a little longer than a day?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your decor piece is 8-10 inches from the UVB? That reflector is going to help that is for sure--- you should start to notice a difference in his behavior - is he basking under that UVB? What are you feeding for a staple feeder? crickets-- dubias? And hes not pooping regularly either correct? I was going to suggest parasites but maybe not --- if they have parasites signs of them would be really stinky poop enough to drive you from the room and it would be like really runny--- what kind of worms were you feeding him? Has he started to loose weight?
Karrie

galaxxzy

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3mqiuc04 said:
Your decor piece is 8-10 inches from the UVB? That reflector is going to help that is for sure--- you should start to notice a difference in his behavior - is he basking under that UVB? What are you feeding for a staple feeder? crickets-- dubias? And hes not pooping regularly either correct? I was going to suggest parasites but maybe not --- if they have parasites signs of them would be really stinky poop enough to drive you from the room and it would be like really runny--- what kind of worms were you feeding him? Has he started to loose weight?
Karrie

He has two decor pieces now. One for him to bask under the heat and one to bask under the uv.
106018-2648236370.jpg
(UV basking)
He used to eat superworms before he stopped eating but nothing like dubias or crickets. Correct, he hasn’t been pooping. And when he does, they aren’t very big, instead, very small. Not sure. I haven’t ever weighed him so I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom