Beardie growth question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puzzleman

Hello all. I'm fairly new to owning a dragon. Got my first one last year as a birthday present . about 5 months after i got him, I had to leave town on work related issues and left my roommate to tend to him... i was gone for close to 8 mo. come back home and see my guy looking about the same size i left him. He was never handled and seam to be under weight . i asked what was she feeding him and she said strictly collard greens. The question is. Do dragons stop growing at a particular time or with me now in the picture with the right light ,food , hydration can make him go back on a growth spurt?

Redleg

You didn't say how big or how old your Dragon is.

Feeding a Dragon nothing but collard greens for 8 months is an inadequate diet in the extreme. These animals need some protein; how much depends on the age and size of the dragon. Plus, in my experience these animals need variety. Just one food will induce boredom and depression leading to illness and malnutrition.

While they are growing, i.e. first year or two, they should eat 80% protein/20% greens. This ratio flips once the Dragon matures. But they always need some protein.

I would feed your Dragon some hornworms or silkworms to get some protein in him and also that will hydrate him.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Redleg":2rp6k0op said:

Feeding a Dragon nothing but collard greens for 8 months is an inadequate diet in the extreme. These animals need some protein; how much depends on the age and size of the dragon. Plus, in my experience these animals need variety. Just one food will induce boredom and depression leading to illness and malnutrition.

While they are growing, i.e. first year or two, they should eat 80% protein/20% greens. This ratio flips once the Dragon matures. But they always need some protein.

I would feed your Dragon some hornworms or silkworms to get some protein in him and also that will hydrate him.

They grow very fast In their first 6 months, and continue growing until they are about 2 years old.

Silkworms are the better choice (more nutritious , better Ca/P ratio). Add gut loaded calcium dusted crickets or roaches to the live insect staples for his daily insect protein feeds, I'd have him on two live insect feeds per day at his age, as many insects as he wants each time as well as his greens and chopped/diced/grated vegs.

My Peppa and Toothless are now 7 months old and each eating about 30-35 x 2/3sized (medium) crickets per day split into 2 meals each (they'd eat more if given the chance but then they'd have no room for their greens and vegs).

Puzzleman

Original Poster
Redleg":11c6kbz6 said:

he is ruffly 1 year 4 months or so. the length i'm not exactly sure since he has a nub tail. Here is a pic Nubby,
10983821_10153206626191208_6400430860110252272_n.jpg

Redleg

Puzzleman":1h4reg6b said:
Redleg":1h4reg6b said:

he is ruffly 1 year 4 months or so. the length i'm not exactly sure since he has a nub tail. Here is a pic Nubby,

Well, he is a good looking Dragon. Give him some protein with the greens and he'll be fine. Hornworms are particularly good for re-hydrating Dragons as these worms contain a fair amount of water. And every Dragon I've ever seen loves them.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Redleg":13a10vyd said:
Puzzleman":13a10vyd said:
Redleg":13a10vyd said:

Well, he is a good looking Dragon. Give him some protein with the greens and he'll be fine. Hornworms are particularly good for re-hydrating Dragons as these worms contain a fair amount of water. And every Dragon I've ever seen loves them.

Silkworms are better choice .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom