Beardie gone wild!

Status
Not open for further replies.

themamaj

Hi guys. Would love some advice from you veteran beardie owners out there. I have a 5.5 year old beardie who I have had 1.5 years. He is in a 40B, Reptisun T5 10.0 bulb. Basking spot 95, ambient in cool side 78. Kitchen liner substrate. Has cave,log, hammock, food dishes, artificial cactus plant. Nothing has changed tank wise. He is incredibly spoiled and has time out of tank for exercise every day and cuddle time. Back in Jan of this past year, I added another beardie to my reptile room. Of course, it was a baby at the time but Chomper was not happy. At first they could see each other but realized that was not a good idea so move Littlefoot out of sight. Things seem to be going along fine but when Chomper saw Littlefoot he would go wild bobbing head and showing territorial displays. Littlefoot has since grown up. I am not 100% sure but think Littlefoot is also a boy. Vet thought maybe a girl early on but the pores look pretty prominent now but with the coloration it is really hard for me to tell. Littlefoot is housed in his own 40B tank with same set up. I have the tanks side by side but they cannot see each other. The problem I am having is Chomper is black bearded, head bobbing and going nuts in his tank all the time. If I let him out to run around, he is head bobbing and climbing all over the place. I have had some issue with this prior but much more recently. I obviously don't want them causing each other stress. Littlefoot has always been super submissive and will wave continuously if he sees Chomper out in the floor. Could this be a territorial dispute if Littlefoot is indeed a boy or a hormonal issue if Littlefoot is a girl? Any suggestions to help everyone coexist in the room?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
What are the dimensions of a 40B tank ?

If they are both boys …. the fireworks will never go away if they are aware of each other. They must never see each other.

If the younger is female , it's OK if the older boy sees her occasionally.... but best they are kept separately unless you intend to breed the pair. And she sees him occasionally - the response of a female to a virile male beardie who's headnodding at her and showing his stuff by bbing , while she armwaves back can be very charming / entertaining to watch.

Is pretty easy to sex a bearded dragon. If you lift the tail and take a close up the base of the tail and never regions we can help you determine the sex of dragon/s.
https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/sexing/
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=204533
I am very disturbed that a so called vet was unable to tell the sex of your dragon.

themamaj

Original Poster
40 B is 36x18. Ideally it would be nice to upgrade. For now, he is out a lot and gets plenty of exercise so I think it is ok. As far as vet, Littlefoot was very young at the time and was in shed so the femoral pores were hard to see. I really think Littlefoot is a boy compared to anatomy pictures. Even though they don't see each other unless one is out with me, I think they hear each other. I have been debating about moving Chomper's tank to another room to see if that would help. I hate to do that though because, I really enjoy seeing all my animals in my reptile room which is where I spend 99% of time. Looking at different views in the room and I think if I move him to a different shelf, my chair blocks vision from other tanks. Going to try that and see if it helps. I adore both of these dragons and don't want either to be stressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom