Beardie eye issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!

Something is going on with my beardie’s eye and I’m not sure what it is! Larry is 12 months and lives in a bioactive enclosure. A few weeks ago I noticed something wrong with his right eye. He kept it closed mostly and when open it was watery. No crust on the outside. Took him to a vet and she said there wasn’t an ulcer present, so he was diagnosed with mild conjunctivitis and given antibiotic drops to be applied 2 x day for 7 days. Finished his treatment and his eye is still bothering him. I’m not sure if she evaluated his eye when it was closed because i had to stay outside of the building due to COVID-19. Almost looks as if there’s extra skin or missing skin on the upper eyelid. Any ideas what may be wrong? I am going to take him to the vet again just not sure if I want to take him to the same one.

Thanks for your help!

108169-2508064467.jpg
108169-5783510287.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Has he gotten something in it from digging in the tank? Have you tried washing the eye out w/ saline solution ? I would do that first then try this raw unpasteurized honey mixed w/ a little warm water - use a q-tip to apply a couple times per day -- see if that help clear it up -- he could be allergic to something in the tank thats a guess ---
Karrie

Sicilyn118

Original Poster
Hi Karrie,

Ok. I haven’t tried the saline rinse. I thought he could’ve gotten something in it but I figured the vet would’ve noticed that during his exam. He does open it for periods of time but he also keeps it closed. I will try the saline rinse. I used the fluckers reptile rinse before taking him to the vet but it was hard to get it in his eye.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What kind of lighting are you using ? Sometimes certain brands of bulbs will cause eye issues as well --
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would take it as a good sign that there is no mucous buildup. It could be something trapped in the eye as mentioned. Maybe some small bit of debris causing irritation. The saline flush with a curved syringe may help with that. Another possibility that comes to mind is an odd or incomplete shed of the skin around the eye. Has the indentation changed much recently? Expanded or changed form or color?

Sicilyn118

Original Poster
The indentation May be just a little deeper since we initially noticed it. Two sheds ago it looked as if there was shed left behind before there was an indentation. I tried to dab some water on with a q-tip but he smacked it away so I stopped because I thought it was hurting him. Then a little later he let me dab it with a wet, warm cloth and by the next day it looked as if it was back to normal. The next shed it looked like there was something there again. I tried a-tip with warm water and it was gone. I would say no more than a week later is when the eye was closed and watery. As time progressed is when the indentation started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom