Beardie Dentist?? (Photos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mustashio

Juvie Member
Since our bearded pets are so much like children, I was wondering if there was anything we need to do to keep their teeth clean?

In a rare moment caught venting outside, I got a glimpse of my Mustashio's mouth and was kinda appalled! Now...he hasn't eaten any vegi's in like 8months, but he loves his supers, hornworms, occasional wax worms and crickets when he's in the mood. But he has been on unauthorized hiatus from vegis, even though they are still offered daily!

What do you think about these grimy teeth? Something to be concerned about???

Sheena

Why hasn't he had any veggies? Have you not been offering them or has he just not wanted them?

They are supposed to be eating more veggies when they are older and less meat (crickets worms etc.)

As for his teeth, I have no idea. Maybe its because hes not getting vegetables.

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Sheena, OP said he offers them daily. Some dragons are just stubborn and don't transition to veggies like they should. As for the teeth, try PM'ing Deb (sweetiepie9). She has been dealing with a dragon with mouth rot, and will be able to help you till if that is what you are dealing with here or not. Others may chime in as well.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I'm not sure because he's in sunshine, but you need to check if his gums are infected. The teeth are fine, they do get dark sometimes but it doesn't mean anything. It's the gums that may be the problem. Leo has been battling mouth rot, but his teeth were actually black and his gums bright red, not a light brown like your boy. I'm only aware of one vet that brushes beardies teeth and he's in Colorado. He uses a pet toothpaste that is chicken flavoured, but my vet has never heard of that. Only Leo, of my 6 dragons, has ever had a problem and he does eat his veggies/greens. So it's really hard to tell, their gums should be a regular pink, if any darker or red may be mouth rot, but you can only tell by a vet. The med that my vet gave me is called Nolvadent and tastes like peppermint. You apply it along the gums with a q-tip that's been soaked in the solution, daily, for about 3 weeks, then get him checked again.

As far as I can tell, his gums look fine. All of mine have a bit of discolouration on their side teeth. Rinsing his mouth out with water (dripping it by syringe for him to drink) after eating is a way to avoid the discolouration. So I'll leave it to you as to what you want to do. If his gums, in regular light, are just pink, he's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom