Beardie coughing...HELP PLEASE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjdickey

Juvie Member
I recieved a beardie 11 days ago by shipment from a breeder who is on this forum. I recieved the dragon and took her out of the box. I started to get up to get a bath ready and she started coughing. This scared me b/c I have never heard of a beardie coughing. So, I let her know whats going on. She hasnt eaten anything since I got her, is still coughing , and keeps her eyes closed alot. She also just sits there and isnt active at all. I took her to the vet and he examined her. Fecal came out normal and he listened to her chest and found no congestion. There are no crusties which, after hearing what the doc said, leads me to ex out the possibility of RI. What could be wrong with her? I am really frustrated with the vet b/c he says he needs to hear her cough before he can tell whats wrong, but I cant get a video or anything b/c I work. Please help!!

Christy

I don't want anything to happen to her.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hi
I am sorry to hear about your beardie.Unforunately I do think she may have the start of an RI which could be difficult to diagnose especially if your vet is not a herp vet.Did he give you any meds for her?In the meantime you need to keep her humidity down and her temps up.Try to keep night time temps above 70F and if possible keep her basking area at 105F-110F.I would also use a rice sock at night for her or at least make sure she is wrapped up in a blankie.What did the vet recommend?

cjdickey

Juvie Member
Original Poster
First of all thank you so much for your quick response. The vet told me that he has completely ruled out that she could have an RI and suggested me keeping a log of when the coughing happens. I have done so and called to set up another appt b/c she wasnt getting better. He then said That he cant do anything for me without hearing what the cough sounds like. Thus, why I am so frustrated. He didnt give me any sort of relief advice for her or meds or anything like that. He claims to be an exotic vet specializing in all forms of animals. Not so sure that he is though. I have her under an mvb and her temps are around 108 on the warm side and 72 on her cool side. She is on paper towels and has a hammock and log in her viv. I have been successful only once with (2)horns, (4)supers, and (10)dusted crix all which she ate each about 2-3 days apart from each other. The breeder said that she ate like a horse for her so I am starting to blame myself. I just havent the slightest clue. I will do as u suggested. Thank you so much for your advise! I would be absolutely torn if she gets worse or passes. I dont want her suffering. She is 5 months old and hasnt even began to see the good life that I have planned for her!!

Christy

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
First dont blame yourself as it was most likely caused by however she was shipped.If they are not shipped correctly during the cold season they could easily become ill.I am not a vet but coughing is abnormal and almost always a sign of RI.All I can tell you to do is what I would do if it were me and thats get a second opinion from a herp specialized vet.Maybe your vet is right or maybe not.He may think its not an RI yet because the xrays look clear but that could also be that this is just the start of it and it hasnt proceded to a visible stage.I am not an advocate of medicating for no reason but if YOU feel something is wrong then I wouldnt ignore it.

cjdickey

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yeah, he opted against the x-ray of course without asking me. Where I live right now, there isnt a herp vet close but I will definately drive the 3 hours if it means her getting better. So, I'm getting her a rice sock ready and I will call first thing tomorrow. I really appreciate the advice. Is there anything I could buy to ease up her symptoms? The last time I saw her cough she did this head thrashing from side to side with the cough which really concerns me. I have never had a sick beardie before so I hope I am not over reacting when I say I am extremely scared and worried.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
I dont think your over reacting at all.So he didnt do an XRAY? Well then how exactly did he rule out RI? I definately think something is not quite right with that.There really isnt a whole lot you can do without a proper diagnosis besides keep him warm,you could try to get him some repta aid critical care formula to help boost him up a bit.I wouldnt move him in and out of the tank alot either just for the needed care,ok?

cjdickey

Juvie Member
Original Poster
That's kinda what I thought. I couldnt believe he came to a conclusion so quickly. He just stuck the stethoscope on her chest and said "sounds clear to me, no RI". Then said he didnt see the need for an x-ray. But, I will get her to another vet asap. She hasnt really been out of her tank other than for baths and cleaning. I kinda thought relocation stress at first, but I have never heard of them coughing from that. I will definately get some critical care if for nothing else than to get her appetite going again. I would feel a whole lot better if I could just get some food in her. Anyways, I really appreciate u taking the time to respond to this. You have helped somewhat ease my mind. At least I know now that it COULD be RI and I know it sounds bad, but the thought of second opinion didnt even cross my mind. I will do that and let you know how it goes. We are about to go on vacation and I dont want to come home to one less child! Thanks again!

Christy

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
cjdickey":768bd said:
That's kinda what I thought. I couldnt believe he came to a conclusion so quickly. He just stuck the stethoscope on her chest and said "sounds clear to me, no RI". Then said he didnt see the need for an x-ray. But, I will get her to another vet asap. She hasnt really been out of her tank other than for baths and cleaning. I kinda thought relocation stress at first, but I have never heard of them coughing from that. I will definately get some critical care if for nothing else than to get her appetite going again. I would feel a whole lot better if I could just get some food in her. Anyways, I really appreciate u taking the time to respond to this. You have helped somewhat ease my mind. At least I know now that it COULD be RI and I know it sounds bad, but the thought of second opinion didnt even cross my mind. I will do that and let you know how it goes. We are about to go on vacation and I dont want to come home to one less child! Thanks again!

Christy
No problem Christy.You can always supplement her diet with babyfood and the critical care will help as well.I do want to add keep the baths to a minimum for now it could aggrevate the situation.I wouuld do no more then once or twice a week.Keep me posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom